Menu

Haven't posted in a while. Need input on next year's plans

Hi, everyone. I have not been on the board much since it switched to the new format. I had several funerals to attend and a lot of traveling. Now I am back to reading the board a few times a day. Anyway, I am planning for my 11th grader next year and need some input. Has anyone used Sonlight's British lit course? What did you think? It seems to cover a lot in one year compared to other courses. The other English course we are considering is Hewitt's Honors English using 2 British lit syllabuses. For this I would do the correspondence course and have someone else grade his papers.

Also, we are considering logic. I had him read Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective in middle school but he is now saying that he may not have actually finished them and did not go through the questions at the end of each chapter. So, the choices are Introductory Logic and Intermediate Logic by Nance, Traditional Logic books 1 and 2, or Material Logic book 1 (would only be one semester). Any reviews, comparisons, info, etc. would be helpful.

Greetings from Fauquier County (almost right next door to you all). We are using Sonlight core 300 next year , but not much of the lit. I am considering splitting the Brit Lit into 2 years and using the lit in place of the core 300 lit, and then adding in some 20th century sci fi for fun reading. The Brit Lit does look good, but it is a lot for one year.

Veronica

Hi Cheryl,

I have the Brit lit and was considering it for this year, but then ds decided he wanted to do 20th Cent instead. (I have it for sale if you want to look on SS board.) I would take out several of the books if we were to do it. We'd concentrate on the serious stuff, and get rid of the lighter books.

One consideration for Sonlight is to see if they really provide the depth of commentary you desire. Can't say they do with 300--it's been frustrating to me. I think BL is better, but we'd still probably end up supplementing the IG with other commentaries. Just my 2 cents.

BTW, we are in Lorton, if you wanted to come see the Sonlight.

I would do the Lightning Lit British Lit course. I am using the guides this year with a group of teens. I think they are excellent. I've never used the correspondence course though so I can't vouch for that but I am very impressed with Lightning Lit. I'm using the American guides next year.

I would do Trad. Logic I and II (and then Material Logic the next year). I tried to space Trad. Logic I over a year with my 9th and 7th graders a couple years back and I came to the conclusion that it is actually better to do Logic more intensely than that. You have to get in the groove of thinking in a certain way and stretching it out seemed to detract from that. With an 11th grader, he should be able to handle Trad Logic I (originally intended for 7th grade) and II (originally intended for 8th) in one year.

My humble two cents!