Menu

Is there a curriculum that parallels all 4 science disciplines?

Everything I'm looking at does a year focussing on one particular science discipline, e.g. Sonlight, which does Physical Science, then Biology, then Chemistry, then Physics.

Is there anything that parallels these studies and does all four at once, over a four year period? I really want to avoid having to buy 4 years' worth of curriculum at once *gulp* so that I'm able to pull from all 4 at once.

TIA!

I'm sorry - I just added a siggy with that info...

Thanks for those suggestions - I haven't heard any of those before so I'll look into them.

I guess I'm discovering that taking the right "road" to my long-term goal is important to me. I was thinking about high school and how when they get there I would like to be using something like Apologia, but I would like them to be exploring all disciplines at once, so that if their preference for one is strong, they won't get bored for an entire year while they focus on another.

That being said, I am trying to figure out the best way to head into Science and cycle through everything properly so that they're well prepared for their last four years.

Your kids are the perfect age for a new curriculum that I'm using this year! It is called Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, by Dr. Bernard Nebel, and it is a book of lesson plans that covers approximately grades K-2, all in one book. It covers all the major strands of science by weaving them together in such a way that kids start with the basics in each area, and go on to understand why concepts are important and how they interrelate. It is hands on, and real-life focused. Best of all, it is only $25 on Amazon!

You can read my full review of it here, if you are interested in more info!

Good luck with your search!

April

Thank you for such a thorough review, April! It actually does look like what I need to create a more cohesive foundation in science. It's something that can can be used in conjunction with other science programs (not that that would be neccessary- just another flexible option!) and I'll probably order it to have a closer look at it.

Thanks again!

April-

I am so excited that you posted about Dr. Nebel's new science curriculum. For the last two years I have longingly looked at his Elementary Education book but was at a loss for how to implement it. I printed the sample chapter and love everything in it, as well as his philosophy that the different scientific disciplines are intertwined. However, I just didn't know how to proceed. I'm even more excited that he will be coming out with another book to follow up. Did he give any indication as to an expected release date for that one?

Thanks so much for posting about this!

April, thanks so much for posting this! Science is "my baby" since it's what my degree is in. I am very picky about science resources and haven't found anything yet that I'm 100% happy with. But this book sounds really great. I am excited to give it a try. And it's actually affordable too, yay! :001_smile:

You wouldn't happen to know how long it will be until the 3 -5 book gets published would you?

GretaLynne and Country Girl,

The last I heard on Dr. Nebel's email list, it is currently being written, with the best case scenario right now being a late 2009 release date. I think there is enough in the first book to keep our family busy at least that long. Even though my kids will be ready for 3rd grade before the end of 2009, older students should work through the first book before beginning book 2, and I don't think we'll get through it earlier than that.

I found some interesting videos on Discovery streaming this week that correspond to several of the topics, so we'll be using those to reinforce our lessons, at least until our subscription runs out! Also, I am planning to make some lapbooks to go along with the lessons. I think it will be a fun way to reinforce and keep a record of what we are learning. (Although sometimes I have good intentions with lapbooks that don't quite happen, somehow!)

April

Thanks April! My daughter will be in third grade this fall. Do you think the K - 2 book will keep us busy until the next one comes out, or will it be too simple for her? Well, I guess I'll be able to answer my own question soon, because I'm ordering the book.

And Cheryl, just wanted to say hi to a fellow New Mexican! :) I'm in Albuquerque.

GretaLynne, I really don't think it will be too babyish. My girls are going to be 8 in October, and they are enjoying it quite a bit. The only thing that older kids might potentially find to be babyish would be some of the go-along book recommendations, which are mainly picture books. My girls still enjoy the ones we get from the library, but some kids might find them to be a bit immature. Those books aren't integral to the lessons, just extra reinforcement. The lessons themselves are interesting and easily adaptable for differing ages. In fact, as is often the case with these things, I think the older kids will get even more out of it than 5 or 6 year olds will.

April

April-

Thanks again for the information on the next book and how you think the current book works for older children. My son will be 7 next fall but we are a very "sciency" family love anything to do with science so I was worried that this one book wouldn't be enough to last us until the next book is out. However, it sounds like it will. I am so excited about this, it really looks like it will be a good addition to our homeschool.

Thanks!

Your kids are the perfect age for a new curriculum that I'm using this year! It is called Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, by Dr. Bernard Nebel, and it is a book of lesson plans that covers approximately grades K-2, all in one book. It covers all the major strands of science by weaving them together in such a way that kids start with the basics in each area, and go on to understand why concepts are important and how they interrelate. It is hands on, and real-life focused. Best of all, it is only $25 on Amazon!

You can read my full review of it here, if you are interested in more info!

Good luck with your search!

April

Is this a pick up and teach type curriculum or is it a read ahead and get things ready type?

Mary,

Good question. I think it is a little bit of both, possibly leaning towards getting things ready, because it does include a good many hands-on activities. It is definitely not the kind of book where you just assign a chapter and a worksheet and call it a day. It is more of a guide that explains in detail to the parent how to go about teaching each lesson.

For many of the activities, discussions, and experiments I've just been opening my book to the right lesson and pretty much using the lesson as notes while we talk through a topic. I also do plan ahead some, by deciding what order I want to do the lessons in. The lessons are all planned out for you, so you don't have to decide WHAT to do, just WHEN you want to do what lesson. (I base those decisions primarily on the season, so we didn't do many of the biology lessons over the winter. I saved them for nicer weather, when we could go out and collect things and study nature, and so forth.) I find that I don't like to have to decide each week what lesson we do next, so I just make a list of the approximate order I want to follow for a few weeks at a time. If I know what I want to do next, I can just flip to the lesson and get started.

At the beginning of each unit, (or if I'm on the ball, sometimes the week before!) I'll check on the computer to see if our library has any of the suggested supplemental reading books. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't, but usually they will have at least one book that I can read to the kids to reinforce what we're studying. This is optional, but I've found it to be helpful, and not difficult to implement.

The curriculum does recommend a number of hands on activities, so you may need to make a quick sweep around the house collecting odds and ends to sort, for one example, or getting out an eye dropper, a glass, and some cooking oil, for another example. In other words, you do have to gather materials to demonstrate some of the lessons. There are lists of needed materials for each unit, but if you prefer to skip hands on, or you want to work with pre-assembled kits, then that might be a problem with this program.

I also find that some of the lessons lead to ongoing discussion and longer term projects, so, in a way, you don't exactly "finish" the lessons, but rather incorporate each lesson into how you go about discussing and living out your everyday life.

Hope this helps! I know from personal experience that sometimes you have the time and energy and desire to get into a hands on curriculum, and other times you just need a text or a workbook or a kit to cover the basics with minimal planning required!

April

April in NC: Yeah, my two middle ones will be in 2nd and 3rd next year and I am at a loss for what to do for science. My oldest was satisfied to just read library books and do simple experiments, but these two, especially my dd8, want to know why something does what it does and basically wants to know much more than my limited scientific knowledge can go. I need something that explains what and why in 3rd grade terms or at least in terms I can use to explain to her. And once I get this figured out, they'll throw something else at me. Must keep mom on her toes.

Sasharowan, yep, I have a couple of questioners on my hands, too. They think to ask about things that I never would have even noticed as a child (or an adult, often!)

One good thing about this curriculum is that Dr. Nebel answers questions on his email groups, so if your kids pose a stumper, you have a good source to which to turn.

Another thing I wanted to point out to those of you who are wondering if the level is appropriate for slightly older kids: I just realized that Amazon has the "Search Inside" feature enabled for this book. You can click on "search inside this book" (underneath the book photo) and then you can page through a brief excerpt. You can also click on "Surprise Me" to flip to random sections of the book, and that might give you a better idea of what to expect before you order.

Hope that helps!

April