Menu

FIAR - Nature Study

NicA

Has anyone used these? I really like to see samples before I buy things, but as far as I could tell they didn't have any on the FIAR website...just a description. If anyone knows where I could see a sample, that would be great! I basically just want to know exactly what the nature study provides, and if you think it is worth the money. And maybe which season you liked the best?:001_smile:

Thanks,

Nicole

I have spring and fall. They follow the same format. The spring gives tips on doing nature study( each season includes this). There are pages of ideas for mammals, birds, nests, eggs, reptiles, insects--what to look for this season and some links. There are pages about spring weather with a few photos, links, poems. There are sections on plants with links, rocks, poetry, artists, music. There are pages related to the above themes that you can use for notebooking, or checklists/scavenger hunts for younger kids. I like them and am always inspired for nature study after reading one!

Marie

I don't think 8 and 11 are too young. You could use the notebooking pages to sketch and write about what you observe in certain seasons--like a garter snake or a robin. But if you already do a lot of nature study and walks, you might want something more curriculum-like as the previous poster suggested.

It reminds me of what to have my kids look for on nature walks. We also like to do things with the poems, art, and music suggestions as well. We read the poem Daffodils when we saw these come up in the yard. It also references FIAR books related to that season like Albert and it's bird theme. If your're not using FIAR or have already rowed the book, you can just read it as a go along after observing birds during your nature walk.

Marie

Edited by Scrapmom3