Menu

2nd Grade Advice needed

mafi39

I have a dd(7) that is going to start 2nd grade in July. She is not reading on level at all and I am wondering where to start her in reading in the fall. We used Explode the Code this year which she likes but she will be on Book 4 by the fall. Should I continue to do etc and just get her some readers and let that be her reading program or do we need a whole program that has readers, workbooks, tm, etc. I don't think she would be ready to do a 2nd grade program but she will know more than 1st grade. It's so frustrating trying to figure it out. What do I do? I want her to be successful but I feel like I have failed her this year.

Also I want to try wwe but we did not do WWE1 this year, so do I start WWE2 in the fall? We are doing FLL and love it so will continue that. We also used AlphaPhonics and she hates it. My son tolerates it but she can't stand it. I want to develop a life long reader out of her so I am willing to take it as slow as she needs. I guess it's hard for me to get over that ps mentality of where she should be by August. thanks for any advice.

If ETC is working with your dd, and she likes it I would keep at it, and buy books at her reading level and just go with her pace. With some children (developmentally), reading takes a little longer to "click" than with others.

I've never used ETC, but know many people who have.

We've pretty much used ABEKA with my oldest 3, and will most likely continue with that. I usually use the K workbook, and the 1st grade workbook, but not the 2nd grade (tried it one year, and it seemed like just busy work when the kids already knew their phonics pretty well).

I used 100EZ lessons, but that drove my oldest to tears. I no longer own the program. I used Frontline Phonics (cutesy/fun songs), but moved too slowly for my kids. I also tried Sing, Spell, Read & Write... but it went pretty much like Frontline Phonics. I spent a LOT on phonics programs early on. :glare:

Something (additional) that REALLY clicked with my kids (supplement) was the LeapFrog videos Letter Factory, Talking Words Factory, Storybook Factory, Let's Go to School (new), Math Circus.

Other "fun games" for reinforcement included Jump Start and Reader Rabbit.

You might see if simply continuing with ETC and adding Letter Factory/Talking Words Factory to the mix help things "click."

I would get a good phonics program and go over it in addition to ETC. I've used AlphaPhonics but if she hates it, get something else. Otherwise, offer a reward for finishing it. It's a hard, getitdone program. I always get my kids a toy (and that is unusual in our family) when they finish AlphaPhonics so they have something to look forward to. Get some good readers- Vertias Press has some excellent ones, graded and sequential.

I'd start with WWE I to develop her competency. It might be easier at some points, but that's o.k.

Make a goal sheet that she can see (and you can too) with what you want to accomplish and what you will do to celebrate once you have.

fwiw: ETC book 4 is syllabication. It is difficult.

I suggest Adventures in Phonics by CLP with their phonics readers or Phonics Pathways . Get good readers (like Step into reading) from the library and let her read as much as possible.

Also , WWE 1 not 2.

These are very good - we used them and I highly recommend them. The workbooks are called level A, B, and C, so she wouldn't have a book that said 1st grade on it - so that's a bonus! Their readers go along with the workbooks and are not very expensive. This would give her a good foundation.

I would get a good phonics program and go over it in addition to ETC. ...Get some good readers

I'd start with WWE I to develop her competency. It might be easier at some points, but that's o.k.

Make a goal sheet that she can see (and you can too) with what you want to accomplish and what you will do to celebrate once you have.

fwiw: ETC book 4 is syllabication. It is difficult.

I edited this.:D

:iagree:

I suggest Phonics Pathways. I would also think of skipping ETC book 4, have you looked through it and book 5? Book 4 is by far the hardest....

WWE 1 is fabulous!! My ds did so well with it and his writing is so much better. We are in week 19 of WWE 2 and I highly recommend the program! Start with WWE 1 and move at whatever pace your dd is comfortable with.

There's been a lot of buzz about the Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading, which you might want to check out. We use Dancing Bears which has no bells and whistles, but it's a very solid program. I am very happy with the progress that Ariel has made with it. If you want to continue with ETC, just make sure she is actually translating the skills from the workbooks to the readers. I say that because we tried it, and while Ariel could do the exercises with little trouble, the skills she was supposed to be learning just didn't transfer from the workbook to the actual story.

With WWE, I would do level 1, and if necessary double up on the lessons, since it's designed to lay the foundation for narration and copywork before dictation is introduced in WWE2, and if your child isn't a fairly solid reader/speller she may struggle with the dictation in level 2.