Menu

Art for a creative child

Embassy

I am starting to put together next year's plan for school. My six year old will be in first grade next year. He has a natural bent toward art and I would like to encourage that. He likes to create without instruction, but will copy things. For example, he doesn't want to build Lego sets by their instructions - he wants to create his own unique piece. He doesn't want to draw something he is not interested in either. He does a great job copying things he sees. What would you suggest?

1. An art curriculum of some kind? If so, what would you recommend?

2. Just get him art supplies, time to draw, and leave him alone.

3. Exposure to famous artists throughout history.

4. Some combination of the above.

He will be doing some theme-based art along with history and geography.

Thanks!

Edited by Wehomeschool

Hmmm. Let's see, what did we do? We read through/discussed some of the Come Look with Me series (Gladys Blizzard). We worked through some of How to Teach Art to Children (both of the previous can be found on Amazon). And I kept the art supplies well stocked - tempura, acrylic, pastels, pencils, collage materials, glitter glue.... You might check into the Draw Write Now series. Step by step drawing and writing to boot!

My children like art as well and what has really worked for us is to keep the supplies on hand and available so that they can be creative. They both have their own colored pencils, markers, glue, scissors, and crayons in a box.

They have a stack of drawers that contain stickers, greeting cards, pom-poms, gems, stencils, stampers, etc. that they can access at any time and use in their artwork.

I keep the paint and clay put up but bring them out on a regular rotating basis so that they can work in it. I have several types of clay--the air-drying kind and the colored kind that you bake.

We also check out books from the library on occassion about drawing or crafts just to mix things up and give them new ideas.

:001_smile: