Menu

Possibly a really dumb question about outlining.... but I'll ask it anyway!!

LindaOz

Do you have your dc write from their own history outlines? If so, when? Next history lesson? Next week?

Also, when do you start this? I have one child doing just the basic 'one sentence per paragraph' outlines suggested for 5th grade. Is that enough info to rewrite on? Or is it better to wait until they are doing 2 or 3 level outlines before they begin to re-write from their own?

Questions, questions....

Thanks for any help.

In lower elementary school, say 3rd or 4th grade, yes. When we first start learning the process, one week for outlining, one week for paragraph writing that looks like this:

M-T create your outline

W take your outline and create original sentences for each piece of your outline.

Thur. - put those sentences together to form a paragraph. Focus on topic and closing sentences.

Fri - Meet with Mom to edit the paragraph (start teaching them this important step. Once they're able to self-edit at all, let them get to it!)

Next week. Correct editing, turn in next draft. Spend the week allowing them to choose a few words from the thesaurus to improve their paper. WOrk on any weak sentences. Make sure they read aloud their paper for themselves.

Complete the final draft, share it for public speaking practice, put it away.

By 5th grade, they can consolidate these steps to one week. I actually expect a 5th grader to be able to write an essay on any topic using graphic organizing (outline or other) and self-editing.

Another great place to use the writing process is science.

For the most part, we start outlining in 2nd grade. I use it much like I use narration. Some days we outline, instead of narrating, so they get comfortable with the process and format. By the end of 2nd grade, we begin turning outlines into sentences and sentences into paragraphs. We practice this a great deal in 3rd and 4th grade, all the while building from one paragraph to about 5. By 5th grade, a 5-paragraph essay is where we sit. We get through the initials in one week, then perhaps edit one paragraph a day for the next week, until they are able to get it all in one week. This means teaching or participating in writing 5 days per week for me, along with about 20-30m a day for the student.

This format has produced decent writers in elementary school for us. Once I hit middle school, we're using WriteShop to create more style in their writing. I'm very pleased!

If I'm not clear, feel free to let me know!

I'll chime in here although I don't know that I am doing it the way it was intended ;)...

My 5th grader outlines on Monday (usually history but sometimes science, composer biographies, etc.) with one sentence per paragraph. He can choose to write his own paragraph that day or wait until Wednesday. I will review it and we'll go through corrections (punctuation, spelling, etc.); on Thursday or Friday, he writes a final copy. Sometimes he will type it for keyboard practice.

In addition, on Tuesdays or Thursdays he also does a summary.

We just started outlining this year so it's all new to us but so far, it's been working for us...

In lower elementary school, say 3rd or 4th grade, yes. When we first start learning the process, one week for outlining, one week for paragraph writing that looks like this:

M-T create your outline

W take your outline and create original sentences for each piece of your outline.

Thur. - put those sentences together to form a paragraph. Focus on topic and closing sentences.

Fri - Meet with Mom to edit the paragraph (start teaching them this important step. Once they're able to self-edit at all, let them get to it!)

Next week. Correct editing, turn in next draft. Spend the week allowing them to choose a few words from the thesaurus to improve their paper. WOrk on any weak sentences. Make sure they read aloud their paper for themselves.

Complete the final draft, share it for public speaking practice, put it away.

By 5th grade, they can consolidate these steps to one week. I actually expect a 5th grader to be able to write an essay on any topic using graphic organizing (outline or other) and self-editing.

Another great place to use the writing process is science.

For the most part, we start outlining in 2nd grade. I use it much like I use narration. Some days we outline, instead of narrating, so they get comfortable with the process and format. By the end of 2nd grade, we begin turning outlines into sentences and sentences into paragraphs. We practice this a great deal in 3rd and 4th grade, all the while building from one paragraph to about 5. By 5th grade, a 5-paragraph essay is where we sit. We get through the initials in one week, then perhaps edit one paragraph a day for the next week, until they are able to get it all in one week. This means teaching or participating in writing 5 days per week for me, along with about 20-30m a day for the student.

This format has produced decent writers in elementary school for us. Once I hit middle school, we're using WriteShop to create more style in their writing. I'm very pleased!

If I'm not clear, feel free to let me know!

Tina,

Do you have your students outline their TOG reading? Are you also using Writing Aids?

Tina,

Do you have your students outline their TOG reading? Are you also using Writing Aids?

Yes, in 4th grade and up, they outline the History Core, and summarize 1 in-depth without any graphic organizing every week, regardless of what the Writing Aides assignment is.

I have also started providing them (middle schoolers) with a basic outline for my lecture, to which I expect them to add facts as I lecture. I'm trying desperately to prepare them for lecture note-taking in college.

I follow Writing Aids for any elementary student. I've dropped it this year for my middle schoolers so we can focus on WriteShop. The middle schoolers still do the project assignments from the SAP's though (which is often a writing assignment of sorts).

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
clarification

Do you have your dc write from their own history outlines? If so, when? Next history lesson? Next week?

Also, when do you start this? I have one child doing just the basic 'one sentence per paragraph' outlines suggested for 5th grade. Is that enough info to rewrite on? Or is it better to wait until they are doing 2 or 3 level outlines before they begin to re-write from their own?

Questions, questions....

Thanks for any help.

I've followed the WTM/SWB logic-stage writing lecture plan of having my 5th grader (last year) do one-level outlines, and my 6th grader (this year) do two-level outlines. He outlines twice a week from any of his history or science reading, as long as it's well-written (this can include biographies, art appr., music info., as well as regular info. text). Next year (7th grade), I will teach him how to do three-level outlines, and when he is comfortable with that, I will *then* teach him how to rewrite from his three-level outlines. To me, there is no point in having him rewrite from a one-level or a two-level outline - the purpose of learning to rewrite from outlines is to learn how to write paragraphs from an outline - it seems difficult to me to teach how to do that, if there is only one or two levels from which to rewrite - not much to write about.

As to when...I think I will do something like this:

7th grade

M - three-level outline

T - rewrite from that outline

W- three-level outline

Th - rewrite from that outline

8th grade, three days a week: three to four-level outline, then rewrite from it on the same day.

But I'm not sure yet - that is very tentative. I am trying to structure it something like WWE. I'm also hoping to see Writing With Skill come out before my son is done this stage, LOL! :)

Edited by Colleen in NS