Menu

Hi Lisa! And welcome to the "big kid" board! ;) Here are some links to past threads to get you started with research and reading on some of your specific topics, and hopefully others will jump in with some "here and now" answers. Welcome to high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.

To all you people with 8th graders...

When formulating a high school plan...

Need book suggestion for help in homeschooling through high school

Soon to be a high schooler

Could you explain what equals a credit, 1/c credit, etc.?

How many classes per year for high school?

Edited by Lori D.
added link

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I think Mary Schofield's "The High School Handbook" is an excellent resource. Some of your questions may differ depending on your state and how you homeschool. We use Apologia for science and love it. Their Physical Science course is typically used in 8th grade but can be used in 9th for high school credit.

I think Mary Schofield's "The High School Handbook" is an excellent resource. Some of your questions may differ depending on your state and how you homeschool. We use Apologia for science and love it. Their Physical Science course is typically used in 8th grade but can be used in 9th for high school credit.

Thanks for the info, Cheryl. Can you tell me more about Apologia; I have never used it. What do you like about it?

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I'm in the same boat! My seventh grade daughter had a change of heart about school and now wants to come back home--woohoo--but I'm feeling a bit unresearched. :001_smile:

--Dawn

I am glad I asked the question, too! The links and tags suggested have been a great resource to me already. Hope we can keep in touch--i would love to know how it progresses with you :)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thanks for the info, Cheryl. Can you tell me more about Apologia; I have never used it. What do you like about it?

You're welcome:001_smile: I like Apologia because I feel it's a solid science curricula, it's Christian and I enjoy the style. It's written in more of a conversational style and because it's written for homeschoolers it explains everything. Text books written for schools assume that there is a teacher who can explain everything and doesn't have as much explanation in the books. I'm an RN and don't need this for myself but my children benefit from it a great deal. They can learn more independently and understand something as it's being taught, and if they need further explanation I can do so from a different angle. I also enjoy that most labs use household items. We are doing Biology this year and I did purchase the dissection kit but it wasn't overly expensive.