Menu

Felt better about homeschooling yesterday

Some of our friend's children are taking care of our house while we are gone and they came by to get instructions. She is a year older than my oldest and an honors student: Duke 7th grade scholar, etc. The boy is my middle ones age and in honors and took the Duke test as well with my son.

She was complaining about how all of her high school classes have stopped "real" instuction for 2 weeks to get into the TAKS mode and how they have to take benchmark tests ( practice TAKS tests) every 6 weeks. She is in honors chemistry and someone is just reading something out loud to them to review them for the TAKS. What a waste!!!!

Their son revealed his score on the math section of the sAT and it was 100 points lower than my middle, horrible math son. I also realized looking at the brochure from Duke on the e studies he could take, that his score qualifies him for advanced math classes. :001_huh:So maybe he isn't as bad at math as I thought. But Chalkdust prealgebra is kicking his butt here at the end. Those geometry type problems in 9.4 and 9.5 with finding the area of things that are part circle, part rectangle, part triangle or finding the volume of such a shape is just too hard for him. We finally just skipped to chapter 10 yesterday. I think I am doing a combo of TT Algebra I and Chalkdust Algebra I for him next year. We'll just get as far as we get and continue on.

But maybe I'm not ruining their lives.

Christine

But maybe I'm not ruining their lives.

Christine

I needed to hear this. Thanks for sharing. Are these kids you are talking about in public school?

Homeschooling can be nerve wracking for me at times. Right now I am wondering just how much online my 13 yo should do next year. We love online Latin and we'll add in German. But should she do everything else online, too, (because I often feel incompetent and because she is much more motivated with online classwork) or should we just go with Apologia, Sonlight, and math at home (with AoPS classes possibly added in)?:confused: Will I ruin her life if we don't stay on top of things? I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders when making choices for her. I didn't homeschool our oldest so this is all new and scary to me.

So, good to hear that things aren't going as bad as you might have thought. Maybe they are not going so bad over here, either. :tongue_smilie: