Menu

Concerned about summer break and WWE....

Mommy7

My ds has almost finished WWE2. He is *really* struggling with the dictations at this point. If we break for the summer, will we lose everything we have worked so hard for???

Is there a different source I could use to practice dictation over the summer so that maybe it won't feel so *hard* to him? He absolutely *hates* the dictation part!!! He is able to do it after *a lot* of repeating of the passage. He ends up almost tearful, though.

He would love to not do dictation over the summer, but will he lose what progress we have made?

Yes, I think he will probably lose what he has gained if you break over the summer.

You could use a free Google dictation book, such as Lessons for Writing from Dictation, Dictation Day by Day, or The Dictation Spelling Book.

You could continue on with WWE, moving into the next level.

Or you could just go through the books you own and select dictation passages for your son to practice with. This would probably be a good idea for you, because if your son is struggling, you can "park" at his current level and let him become more comfortable with it.

I use WWE without the workbook, so to me coming up with dictation material is not difficult. If you use the workbook it might feel scary to try to find passages on your own, but after having SWB model the dictation sentences for you, I'd imagine you'd do fine selecting your own.

Tara

Yes, I think he will probably lose what he has gained if you break over the summer.

You could use a free Google dictation book, such as Lessons for Writing from Dictation, Dictation Day by Day, or The Dictation Spelling Book.

You could continue on with WWE, moving into the next level.

Or you could just go through the books you own and select dictation passages for your son to practice with. This would probably be a good idea for you, because if your son is struggling, you can "park" at his current level and let him become more comfortable with it.

I use WWE without the workbook, so to me coming up with dictation material is not difficult. If you use the workbook it might feel scary to try to find passages on your own, but after having SWB model the dictation sentences for you, I'd imagine you'd do fine selecting your own.

Tara

:iagree: I'd do the bolded part, actually parking a little below his level for awhile to get his confidence up.

I agree with the others. I'd write down passages from his favorite books, starting out a bit below his level to build confidence. If he's anxious to start, his memory definitely won't work as well. I think the main focus this summer should be to build his confidence, help him to feel successful. That's the best thing about HSing, you can back up, park, or zoom ahead depending on DC's needs at the particular moment. To make it more fun, how about have him pick a passage and he has to dictate it to you! Then you do the same for him.

I agree with the others. I'd write down passages from his favorite books, starting out a bit below his level to build confidence. If he's anxious to start, his memory definitely won't work as well. I think the main focus this summer should be to build his confidence, help him to feel successful. That's the best thing about HSing, you can back up, park, or zoom ahead depending on DC's needs at the particular moment. To make it more fun, how about have him pick a passage and he has to dictate it to you! Then you do the same for him.

I guess I'm a little unsure about the kind of passages to use. Do you know of a good resource?

I have WWE3...should I just continue with that? How do you think the passages compare to the ones at the end of WWE2?

Thank you so much for the thoughts. I was afraid that summer would mess us up, but frankly, I don't relish the idea of doing much besides math and reading. I need a break as much as the children do. ;)

I'd write down passages from his favorite books, starting out a bit below his level to build confidence. If he's anxious to start, his memory definitely won't work as well. I think the main focus this summer should be to build his confidence, help him to feel successful. That's the best thing about HSing, you can back up, park, or zoom ahead depending on DC's needs at the particular moment. To make it more fun, how about have him pick a passage and he has to dictate it to you! Then you do the same for him.

:iagree:

I agree with this poster, especially, BIG nod to the bolded part. I would go so far as to start off with passages not from "literature" (put away your guns:lol:). I had a dictation-averse child, then I started dictating made up 'passages' about Star Wars, Legos, and other familiar/favorite topics, mimicking the structure/construction of the passages in WWE. After a few of those he felt confident listening to, and memorizing dictation to copy down. You've gone through the book, so it is not a matter of covering all your parts of speech, or your commas in a series, or your direct quotations, etc. Now it is more a matter of getting your child comfortable with the mechanics of dictation. I would not move into WWE 3 before then, or it will be a more intense version of your current struggle, more like WW3. :tongue_smilie: