Menu

thinking ahead. How long per day for MFW high school ancients?

MFW AHL takes about 3 hours a day for History, English and Bible (give or take). The course equates to 1 full credit each for those three subjects. Fridays are usually a lighter workload for the student, but you'll need to schedule time to go over things with your student that day (or sometime before Monday... they have it scheduled on Friday afternoon).

The first week will be the most mom-involved as you walk your student through his first Argumentative Paper and get acclimated to the schedule. After that, you're pretty much just checking in and grading papers, but there is a Bible reading schedule in the back of the manual for mom or dad to read along so that you're enabled to discuss the Bible questions with him. The OT Challenge book that's used is a great tool for this. (But you don't follow the reading schedule in the OT Challenge book; you follow the MFW schedule.) Your time actually helping the student will vary from family to family and the areas where the student needs the most help. Some days my dd swims along without any questions or problems, and sometimes she needs my intervention, but for the most part, my day-to-day academics time with her is pretty minimal.

MFW AHL takes about 3 hours a day for History, English and Bible (give or take). The course equates to 1 full credit each for those three subjects. Fridays are usually a lighter workload for the student, but you'll need to schedule time to go over things with your student that day (or sometime before Monday... they have it scheduled on Friday afternoon).

The first week will be the most mom-involved as you walk your student through his first Argumentative Paper and get acclimated to the schedule. After that, you're pretty much just checking in and grading papers, but there is a Bible reading schedule in the back of the manual for mom or dad to read along so that you're enabled to discuss the Bible questions with him. The OT Challenge book that's used is a great tool for this. (But you don't follow the reading schedule in the OT Challenge book; you follow the MFW schedule.) Your time actually helping the student will vary from family to family and the areas where the student needs the most help. Some days my dd swims along without any questions or problems, and sometimes she needs my intervention, but for the most part, my day-to-day academics time with her is pretty minimal.

I was hoping/guessing about three hours per day.

I also appreciate the insight into the fact that mom time may vary. I can't wait to see this live and in-person at convention.

I was hoping/guessing about three hours per day.

I also appreciate the insight into the fact that mom time may vary. I can't wait to see this live and in-person at convention.

Can you let us know how it goes? I will be doing this with my dd next year as well, but we can't make it to a convention, so I'd be interested in your thoughts! :001_smile: