Menu

Auto insurance question...

To put it simply... Is there somewhere I can get car insurance on myself as a driver instead of on my car.

The explanation... My car hasn't been driveable in about a year yet it is insured. We opted to keep it insured because we were told when we got the policy that we'd be insured for any car we drove. Apparently they changed that aspect of the policy at some point in the past handful of years. I have no choice but to drive... I drive my mom around almost daily... I borrow her car or a friend's car when I need to get somewhere... And when DS and I visit my fiance, I regularly use their car.

Since I don't have a car of my own (that is usable for more than a "driveway ornament"), I really don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for coverage that won't help if I'm involved in an accident.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sue

To put it simply... Is there somewhere I can get car insurance on myself as a driver instead of on my car.

The explanation... My car hasn't been driveable in about a year yet it is insured. We opted to keep it insured because we were told when we got the policy that we'd be insured for any car we drove. Apparently they changed that aspect of the policy at some point in the past handful of years. I have no choice but to drive... I drive my mom around almost daily... I borrow her car or a friend's car when I need to get somewhere... And when DS and I visit my fiance, I regularly use their car.

Since I don't have a car of my own (that is usable for more than a "driveway ornament"), I really don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for coverage that won't help if I'm involved in an accident.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sue

When you get car insurance it covers anyone else who might drive your car. So, if you are driving your mom's car then her insurance will cover you.

When you get car insurance it covers anyone else who might drive your car. So, if you are driving your mom's car then her insurance will cover you.

I'm sorry but I must disagree with this! ... SOME policies do cover other people driving the car but some do NOT.

I would have anyone who's car you borrow regularly check on that if your concerned about it (and I would be in that situation too).

My policy, and my sister's policy both do NOT cover anyone else.

You may be able to get yourself added to their policy pretty cheaply (particularly if your lower risk then they are) if you find that their policy doesn't cover other drivers

HTH

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sue

Have your mother add you to her policy. Have your friends check their policies to see what needs to be done to cover you driving their cars.