Menu

College Admissions Requirements

The discussion about foreign language requirements has me curious about requirements for college admissions for homeschooled students. At the University of Nebraska this is the course documentation (in addition to SAT or ACT (preferred) test scores) they require:

The primary teacher/administrator of the home school must provide:

* A copy of the letter from the Nebraska State Department of Education that confirms that you have filed with the Department of Education.

* A typed transcript (semester format) of the courses the student completed in the home school environment. Grades or averages earned in each course must be included on the transcript. A curriculum synopsis of the courses which parallel the University of Nebraska–Lincoln's 16 core course requirement. The synopsis should include a brief description (paragraph) of each of these courses.

* Textbook information listed by course (including titles and authors). Students who have taken courses in foreign language must include a description of how they learned the verbal component of the language (i.e. tutor, tapes). The home school administrator should also provide a detailed description of how the applicant fulfilled the natural science laboratory requirement.

* Students who completed courses in a school other than their home-school (traditional high school and/or college) must also submit an official copy of their academic transcript from this school.

I have friends who have told me that no other colleges their kids have applied to have required the amount of information that is required by UN. I'm just wondering if other public universities are requiring this same amount of documentation.

I don't know personally of any homeschooled student that they have not accepted, but they have found students deficient (not because they didn't take the course in high school, but the University didn't like the course they took) and they either take those courses at the University or at a community college. The high school requirement will then be fulfilled. It may or may not apply towards your degree, that is dependent upon the degree you are going after. Usually a lab science and a foreign language class are the two courses that are the most in question.

Yvonne in NE

Guest Barb B

That is not so bad. I am thinking that the requirment of a letter from Nebraska dept of ed. has something to do with the state of Nebraska's homeschooling requirment and would apply to Nebraska residents only. Here is Texas we don't even notify the state or school district that we are homeschooling. Some schools require more then others. Every one I have seen will need a transcript. The more traditional looking this is the better. I am keeping a course description and text book list for every course. Some colleges will get this right away because the require it. Others I will send if they ask for it. It is very common for colleges to ask for a description of your homeschool (philosphy . . .). Not as common are schools that require SAT II tests of homeschoolers. Because of this ds took SAT physics and Math II (not the SAT I math but the subject math). We didn't want to get to senior year and find a school he wants to apply to require this so we got it out of the way at the appropriate time for ds and can send them if needed. Once in a while a school will require a GED. We are adament that we won't do this and will explain why to admissions: it looks like we dropped out and had to take the ged to finish school (not the case), also my sons test scores are good (29 act composite - 31 in the science area!) and with test scores like that he shouldn't have to prove anything that we did high school!

Barb

added: google homeschool friendly colleges and also look on the HDLSA site (they used to have a list rating colleges by homeschool policys). I have a feeling Univ. of Neb. is one of those not so friendly colleges. Here in Texas it is illigal for a state university to require extra of homeschoolers!

Edited by Barb B

I have friends who have told me that no other colleges their kids have applied to have required the amount of information that is required by UN. I'm just wondering if other public universities are requiring this same amount of documentation.

Yvonne in NE

We haven't had any colleges ask for most of that (transcript, yes, all we checked into wanted it with grades, SAT/ACT (all) - with writing for most). A few wanted a little extra here and there - description of classes, reason for homeschooling, more outside verification of grades, etc. The more outside verification of grades one has, the better the application IMO, BUT, we only had one outside course for my oldest and it didn't hurt him for what he wanted to do - including nice merit aid (high SAT/ACT helped considerably).

All colleges we've looked into have placement tests for math and languages. For science, pending major, some want verification of labs.

It's definitely important to check with a school one is thinking of applying to and see what they require.

When we looked at a top tier school, they wanted course descriptions and 2 letters of recommendation from outside sources and a portfolio. It wasn't a school she really wanted to attend so we didn't apply. The other schools we looked at only wanted a transcript and a SAT/ACT score. They did have requirements for courses that the high schooler was to have taken but we didn't have to verify anything. One school wanted higher SAT/ACT scores from homeschoolers. They said they used them more than transcripts because they didn't think homeschoolers were truthful on their transcripts. That's another school we skipped because that proved to me they weren't homeschool friendly and my dd might have a hard time once she got there. What you've listed is more what I'd expect from an IVY league school to ask for. Unless it's high on your list I'd look at what other colleges want and shoot for that.

Not as common are schools that require SAT II tests of homeschoolers.

I'm not sure I would call this uncommon. I guess it depends on what you consider "require". I know I am not as far down the line but when we started high school I contacted a smattering of the types of colleges I know my daughter would be interested - a few private, Christian colleges and then a few of our not-as-huge state schools - William and Mary for example. All of them said they like to see the SAT II tests. William and Mary specifically says on their website that they don't "require" SAT II tests from homeschoolers but highly recommend it. Here's the full website portion on what they like to see from homeschoolers. I found this pretty consistent with what I heard from other places we inquired about. I am sure there are places with more requirements and more with less, but for our purposes I am expecting that if I meet their requirements, it should cover what I've been hearing from the other colleges we've investigated as well.

Just like students from a traditional high school, we like to see you challenging yourself in whatever program you have chosen. Many home-school applicants choose to do this by taking courses such as Calculus, Physics and Composition at a local community college. Also, exposure to foreign language should be a part of your coursework. We like to see students taking 4 high school years of a single foreign language (4 college semesters). So taking upper intermediate level courses (201 and 202 level) at a community college would be helpful as well.

We will need some type of evaluative tool to measure how well you have done in your program. The admissions committee understands that an "official" transcript may not be available. We will need some type of transcript and/or course descriptions so that we can fully understand your program and what was used to determine proficiency in each academic area.

As a part of our application a counselor recommendation is required. Although you may not have a counselor as a home-schooled student, we would like to receive a recommendation letter from someone who is not the parent or guardian. This recommender can be a teacher/tutor or the advisor of an activity in which you participate.

The admission committee also recommends, but does not require, SAT II subject tests. This will allow us to receive more information regarding proficiency in some of the core academic subject areas (Math, Lab Sciences, English, etc.). Because each home-school program is different, subject tests provide the committee with an additional standardized measure of your ability in these different areas.

I think most of these requirements are perfectly reasonable, and I was surprised the schools dd applied to didn't require it. BYU does weigh their decisions heavily on test scores for homeschoolers, and I made sure DD had an interview while she was touring the school. But I still consider them homeschool friendly. They're are just looking for a way to compare your homeschooler to the other applicants. Once she's there, her teachers won't even know she homeschooled high school.

If your child attended a public or regular private school in the area, they would already have details on the educational philosophy, graduation requirements, course descriptions, etc. I think they're just trying to get that information on your school to determine the rigor of the curriculum.

I have learned to hate grades. They are so arbitrary. When I realized colleges weren't going to care what grades I gave my daughter, it took a huge weight off my shoulders.

Guest Barb B

The schools that don't require but highly reccommend SAT II test also tend to be the one's that highly reccommend them for traditional schooled students as well. Actually, it isn't what I would say is uncommon I just meant it isn't the norm. Also, for some reason schools in the East and also ivy legue schools tend to require these tests of homeschoolers the other areas of the country. Of 15-20 school ds may apply to - I think one requires SAT II tests. That said ds has taken SAT II physics and Math subject SAT test. His english has been through an accredited online school (Seton) so we will have an accredited transcript for that. We did this just in case. But as I said not many we looked at require or reccommend these extra tests. I feel that taking the Seton English will provide schools with "objective" grades they like. Also, ds took Bio. and Chemistry outside of our homeschool (although not accredited - it is a place that provides homeschool science and transcripts).

There are so many colleges that it is hard to day what is common or not. However, I would again say - those in the east tend to require more. We have encountered more colleges that require the usual transcript, course description and description of your homeschool and not SAT II. Just our experience but ds will at least apply to 10 (if not more like 12-15) colleges this fall and only one says they want "grade validation" and of that the ACT scores satisfy them (excepting foreign language). All the rest we just have to apply and send our transcript - no mention of anything else. I think the percentage like William and Mary is small. But as homeschoolers we need to realize that they are out there. Your kids will either decide to take the extra tests and apply to those places. Or not and apply at the multitude of schools that don't even reccommend them.

Barb

added: it also depends on each student - a student with good SAT I/Act scores, a good resume, and grades will need less SAT II tests then a student with lower SAT I /ACT scores and a weak resume.

Edited by Barb B