Menu

A second Master's Degree

If someone 'highly recommended' you earn a second M.S. in order to retain your job or be considered for a full time position would you do it?

I am in this position and do not know what to do. I have contacted the closest University and none of my classes from the previous degree will transfer due to the amount of time that has passed. I will have to begin all over again with the 400 level classes and work my way through. The good part is since I have already taken four of these courses I should do well in them. The most difficult part would be the thesis, but I think I could manage it.

The program advisor said I may get an assistantship which would cover tuition. All I would need to pay for would be gas, books, and other incidentals.

I love learning and am all for going back to school. I would have preferred the work count toward a Ph. D. but the closest university offering a Ph.D. in Psychology is 3 hours away (too far away for a daily commute).

So, what would you do?

Well, many factors would be taken into consideration, but my answer would most likely be a definite yes. Are you in a job that will help pay for further education? Will classes allow you to continue your current job and homeschooling? What does the assistantship entail? Will it be a conflict with your current position? How many hours a week would it require? Our there online programs that might be a possibility?

I love going to school, so I'd be easy to convince, but some questions:

1. I assume it was someone at your office who "highly rec'd" the extra degree--will your job pay for classes?

2. An assistantship--how will that work w/ your current schedule?

3. The other university--what about online classes? Or something less frequent, like a combination of online + short seminars? (This would be a big deal to me because I don't think I could repeat a course I'd passed w/ a B or better.)

4. What difference will the extra degree make in pay/job security?

5. Do you love this field or have a secret itch to do something entirely different? For ex, I wouldn't go back for a 2nd MA in teaching, lol. English, though? In a heartbeat.

Good questions.

Well, many factors would be taken into consideration, but my answer would most likely be a definite yes. Are you in a job that will help pay for further education? No, I will be responsible for all expenses.Will classes allow you to continue your current job and homeschooling? My current job is being eliminated due to cut backs and since I do not have the 'right' degree there is nowhere to transfer me to. This is the reason it is highly recommended I go back to school. What does the assistantship entail? I don't know. All of the good assistantships for the Fall semester have been taken. The advisor said I will get whatever can be found at this late date. Will it be a conflict with your current position? Nope, because that job is being eliminated. How many hours a week would it require? A full time course load would be about 8 hours in the classroom, the assistantship hours of 10-15 per week, plus a 2 hour round trip commute each day. Also whatever I spend on homework and research. Are there online programs that might be a possibility? I have never considered online courses, so I don't know.

Again, good questions.

I love going to school, so I'd be easy to convince, but some questions:

1. I assume it was someone at your office who "highly rec'd" the extra degree--will your job pay for classes? No financial assistance.

2. An assistantship--how will that work w/ your current schedule? My current position is being eliminated so there is no conflict.

3. The other university--what about online classes? Or something less frequent, like a combination of online + short seminars? (This would be a big deal to me because I don't think I could repeat a course I'd passed w/ a B or better.) Mmmm...I don't know how to respond to this. I haven't looked into the course schedule enough to know if online classes are offered. I will go check.

4. What difference will the extra degree make in pay/job security? The new M.S. would enable me to be hired for a tenured, full time position. My current M.A. only allowed for an adjunct position, until now when the administration said the M.S. degree is the minimum requirement. Job security? What's that?

5. Do you love this field or have a secret itch to do something entirely different? I do love it. This is what I want to do. I lucked into the job with my current M.A. because I knew someone who knew someone. I wish I had earned the 'right' degree to begin with. For ex, I wouldn't go back for a 2nd MA in teaching, lol. English, though? In a heartbeat.

I assume it was someone at your office who "highly rec'd" the extra degree--will your job pay for classes? No financial assistance. Bummer. But given the elimination of your position, I guess that's not too bad. :001_smile:

2. An assistantship--how will that work w/ your current schedule? My current position is being eliminated so there is no conflict. This makes the choice make a lot more sense for you.

3. The other university--what about online classes? Or something less frequent, like a combination of online + short seminars? (This would be a big deal to me because I don't think I could repeat a course I'd passed w/ a B or better.) Mmmm...I don't know how to respond to this. I haven't looked into the course schedule enough to know if online classes are offered. I will go check. I saw your later post that there was nothing online. Technically, if you did find something offered online, it wouldn't matter where it was. U of Canada, for ex. And you could theoretically take a couple of classes at the local place & transfer them in. I realize that's not a good idea for every person or every field, but if you found a place that would accept your transfer hrs, it might be worth considering. *Maybe,* lol. (How many hrs are we talking about you losing? I'm probably making too big a deal out of it.)

4. What difference will the extra degree make in pay/job security? The new M.S. would enable me to be hired for a tenured, full time position.

Awesome!

My current M.A. only allowed for an adjunct position, until now when the administration said the M.S. degree is the minimum requirement. Job security? What's that?

5. Do you love this field or have a secret itch to do something entirely different? I do love it. This is what I want to do. I lucked into the job with my current M.A. because I knew someone who knew someone. I wish I had earned the 'right' degree to begin with. Oh, I so know what you mean. I *wish* I'd done my MA in English instead of Ed--I could still have done the cert, but then I'd be eligible to teach GT or AP, whereas now? Nope. Arrgh! Fwiw, there was a reason, though--I was pg, & the Ed classes were offered online! :lol:

For ex, I wouldn't go back for a 2nd MA in teaching, lol. English, though? In a heartbeat.

GL!

Yes, I'd absolutely consider it. Like you, I love higher level academics. I, too, would share your preference for a Ph. D. but would consider a second Masters if a Ph. D. were not an option at this time.

I'm assuming the new Masters would have long range, transferable career positives?

I'm assuming the new Masters would have long range, transferable career positives?

It's not the terminal degree so it would still limit me to teaching at the comm. college level. I would need a Ph.D. in order to advance in Psychology. The problem with career advancement is not only the degree but the area in which we live. There are few opportunities and too many job seekers with BAs, BSs and MAs.

Go for it! Education is so empowering. In my state we have to get two master's degrees for teaching or our national boards. I am finished with my first masters and think because of cost I will go the national boards route.

However, if money wasn't an issue-I'd do a second masters in a heartbeat!