Menu

Does anyone have a creative writing program that they love??

Ibbygirl

I'm starting to buy my curricula for next year's school and I want to add some books to help dd develop her creative writing skills. So far I've been looking at Wordsmith and Great Explorations in Editing, http://commonsensepress.com/langarts.htm but there aren't many sample pages to look at and I wish I could see more of it before committing to buy it. Has anyone used either of these that can offer some feedback on them or can anyone recommend another source to develop creative writing skills?? DD will be in 8th next year. Thank you to all who reply. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't like Wordsmith Apprentice very much. It was okay. Since we have Wordsmith and have just started it, it's working out better, so far. :001_smile:

We're loving Apologia Jump In so far and that's working out very nicely. They have sample pages.

Very appealing to reluctant writers.

Fun and engaging program.

Some of the notes I gathered about it before ordering.

Open-and-go format

Workbook

For 5th-8th grades, junior high, or even reluctant high school student

Appealing to reluctant writers

Assignments are short and not overwhelming

Very easy to use, one assignment a day or however long you want to use it

Incremental approach

Covers all types of writing – including essays and research papers

Student learns a little each day by doing a "skill"

Breaking down into steps – easy to use

Student-led – instructions are simple enough for student to read on own

There is a lot of leeway as far as what to write about

Very little teaching required other than answering a few questions and checking work

The student can work very independently and do each of the skill areas on his own

The parent just coaches them through writing their assignments

When you get to the actual writing assignment, you can, if you need to, take longer than the author suggests. You can have the student work on 1-2 paragraphs a day and then you can work on revision together. That way you can ask him questions like "So what is the main point of your paragraph?" and "What is another way you could say that so it would be clearer to your reader?"

Jump In has enough material for 2-3 years if you include the "Writing Plunges" in the Teacher's book. After that, it could be used as a reference and you could use different topics for the different formats.

I love this site for reviews as well as Cathy Duffy's reviews.

We have Hands-on Essays to use after Jump In. I've heard great things about it.

I'm also considering this for later ... but am not sure, since I really did not care for JAG.