Menu

I've looked it over a bit, when there was some controversy related to them and Barnes&Noble a month or so ago. Apparently B&N was integrating portions of the Common Sense reviews into their website without providing the full picture that the Common Sense review provided.

Anyways, I think the site looks great, especially for more conservative families, parents who want to be aware of what their kids are being exposed to so they can discuss it, or those whose kids are reading well above grade level and therefore likely to be exposed to age-inappropriate material. I've seen people seriously suggest pre-reading all your kids' books, and I have to laugh at that. I was a voracious reader, and there's no reasonable way my parents, as adults with jobs and kids and other responsibilities, could have kept up with me.

From the reviews I've looked at, it seems well balanced. The possible offensive or troubling portions are mentioned, but good themes and messages are mentioned as well. Unlike many similar review sites, it doesn't appear to be coming from any particular religious standpoint. I suppose this is either good or bad, depending on your background and motivation for finding out more about your kids' books.

Thank you. There are so many things on the web that I never know what is legit and what is meant to suck you in. I'm glad to see there is a place where I can read reviews for books and games also.

The main problem I see with it is that it's far from comprehensive. I searched for a number of controversial books, and some not-so-controversial that I've seen recommended on here, and couldn't find many of them. I get the impression they include mainly books released within the past few years and books commonly read in schools.