Menu

Spiral ham question

You made me curious, so I Googled it. The advice I found was mixed. Those who had never tried ham-in-a-crockpot scoffed at it. Those who had tried it said it the results were great. Here's one recipe I found (which is similar to others out there):

Slow Cooker Method for Heating Ham

Hams emerge very moist and tender from the slow cooker. Make sure that the ham will fit into your slow cooker. Place the ham in the appliance and add the glaze ingredients. You can also just add some Coke or Pepsi, chicken broth, or water; about 1 cup will do it. Cover and cook on low for 5-8 hours, until ham is thoroughly heated. If you want to glaze the ham, place on a broiler pan and cover with glaze; broil 10" from the heat for 10-15 minutes, watching carefully, until glaze is cooked.

Mine needs 3 hours in a 350 oven. I'm thinking I will give it more like 5 on a much lower oven so that I can combine my sweet potatoes and green beans in there when I leave for church and everything will be hot and ready when we get home. A crock pot is a good idea tho! But since I have other sides that have to be hot as soon as we walk in the door, I'm gonna try it this way.

Good luck with your ham!:D

Mine needs 3 hours in a 350 oven. I'm thinking I will give it more like 5 on a much lower oven so that I can combine my sweet potatoes and green beans in there when I leave for church and everything will be hot and ready when we get home. A crock pot is a good idea tho! But since I have other sides that have to be hot as soon as we walk in the door, I'm gonna try it this way.

Good luck with your ham!:D

So this is why I have a problem. I can't leave the house with the oven on. I start to panic. What if . . .

I am planning on other things and thought I would make them tonight and then throwing them into the oven the second I get home. Being away from the house for close to 5 hours makes me nervous, even with a 250 oven.

How long are you away?

So this is why I have a problem. I can't leave the house with the oven on. I start to panic. What if . . .

I am planning on other things and thought I would make them tonight and then throwing them into the oven the second I get home. Being away from the house for close to 5 hours makes me nervous, even with a 250 oven.

How long are you away?

I'd have a hard time leaving the house with the oven on either. And I don't think my dh would allow it. But I don't know why leaving a crockpot cooking for 5 hours is any safer.

I'd have a hard time leaving the house with the oven on either. And I don't think my dh would allow it. But I don't know why leaving a crockpot cooking for 5 hours is any safer.

Why do we do this then? :D

How about this? I bake it tonight along with my other sides and reheat tomorrow after we get home. That has to be quicker than waiting 3 hours. :confused:

Why do we do this then? :D

How about this? I bake it tonight along with my other sides and reheat tomorrow after we get home. That has to be quicker than waiting 3 hours. :confused:

You know, your ham is probably already cooked (a certainty, actually, if it's spiral sliced). You really just need to heat it. I wasn't suggesting that the crockpot isn't safe, but that the oven is probably just as safe on a low temp. I'd vote for the crockpot ham so you can tell us how it turns out!

It was a bad joke. Sorry. Think spiral curricula vs. mastery curricula.

:lol::lol:

Back to the ham...

I thought about the leaving the house thing too. But I leave all the time with my hot water heater on, my furnace, various and sundry other appliances. And I have many, many times used my oven for hours at a time while I'm home, and it's always been fine. I know, I know, there's only one time for something to happen. I guess in some ways the crock pot seems safer, so I'd go that route if you're uncomfortable. Honestly I hadn't even talked it over with my husband, so I guess I should before I decide to leave the house with the oven on! We'll be gone about 3 hours.

Have a happy and blessed Easter no matter what!

Can you cook spiral ham in a crockpot? I live over an hour away from church and really don't want to wait to eat until 4pm. If I can cook it this way, do I have to do anything different. Has anyone else ever done this?

TIA

I've done it. The trick is getting one to fit into your crockpot. I usually have to do some trimming.

Remember with the ham, you're not cooking it -- you're just warming it up. It's already cooked. And it actually tastes quite good cold, IMO.