Menu

xpost - Need your knowledge of colleges for suggestions

My son who is a junior is not sure what he wants to major in - anything from recreation to business to English or who knows what. He does want to be a camp director but has a variety of interests and talents.

I need your help in identifying state or Christian colleges with excellent scholarships. He scored high on the SAT (1440 Math and Critical Reading) and would like to get as close to a full ride as possible. We don't qualify for financial aid. If he attends a Christian school we are looking for a very conservative, creation only type school, but not quite as conservative with the rules as Bob Jones U. I know of some colleges in our range, but also know that there must be some I am not familiar with that would be possibilities. I would appreciate you posting if you have any ideas.

Thanks - Liberty is on the list. Our older son went there - it's a great school. However, the costs have risen and the scholarship amounts haven't - making it quite a bit more expensive now. It's still less expensive than most private schools, so we are leaving it on the list. I'm looking for a school with Liberty's doctrines but less expensive or with much better scholarships.

More about Liberty:

Your son's SAT score would qualify him for their honors program, which would get him another several thousand dollar's worth of scholarships. Also, if you live in VA, they have a VA resident's scholarship and VTAG, a grant for VA residents who attend private colleges in VA. I had never heard of VTAG before, but it was simple to apply for.

Also, have you heard of Liberty's Home School Advantage (HSA) program? If your student is a high school junior or senior, is accepted and has paid his deposit, you can enroll in the program. They send you all the materials you need to study for the five required Bible classes, totaling 14 credits. After studying for each class, he would take a validation exam. The only cost is $100/course to put the credits on his transcript. It is a way to get a semester's credits for only $500. Dd has done this program - it works! The only caveat is that you only get one chance to pass each course exam.

We have looked at a lot of Christian colleges - they are pricey. I hope you find what you like and can afford.

HTH,

GardenMom