Menu

WWE vs IEW/why do copywork/narrations?

jclinton

Can people compare - tell me what you like/don't like. I'm not sure which to use for dd 10 (going into 5th) who is a reluctant writer - unfortunately we didn't do a lot of copywork/narration early on. I'm also looking at WWE for ds 7 going into 2nd grade. I don't know if I'm sold on copywork and narration but after dd's problems with writing I figure it can't hurt to try it.

Thanks for the input.

JoAnne

I suggest that you read the WWE book for a better explanation than I can give but I will do my best here - I loaned my copy out so I can't refer to it right now! SWB explains how narration, copywork and then dictation build the skills children need to create their own sentences in their minds and get them down on paper. Outlining (where IEW starts) comes later, at the 5th-8th grade level.

If I were you I would consider spending the 5th grade building those skills before going into something like IEW in the 6th grade. Your daughter will probably struggle less once she has the basics down.

hth

I suggest that you read the WWE book for a better explanation than I can give but I will do my best here - I loaned my copy out so I can't refer to it right now! SWB explains how narration, copywork and then dictation build the skills children need to create their own sentences in their minds and get them down on paper. Outlining (where IEW starts) comes later, at the 5th-8th grade level.

If I were you I would consider spending the 5th grade building those skills before going into something like IEW in the 6th grade. Your daughter will probably struggle less once she has the basics down.

hth

:iagree: I do WWE for grades 1-5 and begin IEW in 6th with SWI B.

When my oldest 2 dc were in 5th and 6th grade I used the WWE hardback textbook to help them get the basics. I did the placement tests in the book and then started them in WWE 3. They did the lessons in the book for each level (about 6 weeks per level). That was enough for them to be ready for IEW B.