Menu

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey ?

Maddysmom26

I'm using Earth and Space with my 5th grader right now and we shelved Chemistry because it was too much for my 2nd grader so we plan to use it next year.

I enjoy that there is some reading in it but it's pretty basic which allows me to add library books or others we have here at home. The experiments/labs are fun and my kids enjoy them, I know others say they usually don't work but that hasn't been ours have all been successful so far. I like that it uses a lot of hands on time and not all reading with a few labs sprinkled in here and there.

We like R.E.A.L. Science a lot. It is fun, easy to use, and hands-on. We're just finishing the Earth Science unit. I think you'd need to beef it up quite a bit for a 5th grader. You can easily use more advanced readings. Some of the lab sheets may seem a little elementary.

They do have a "try before you buy" that you can download for free. It gets you about 10 weeks worth of lessons. The science downloads are at the bottom of the page. Here is a link.

We are using RSO Life with a 4th grader and a 1st grader. We've been supplementing with library books, but I still think it is too easy for a 4th grader. Not enough depth. My first grader is doing fine with it but I think it would actually be ideal for about the 2nd grade level. That's my opinion anyway, and based only on the Life course--haven't seen the others.

I am using the R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Chemistry (level one) this year with my 3rd grader and 5th grader. This has been great. It is not too complicated or too simple. For my 5th grader we write down what the next lesson is about, so we can check out a couple of books to reinforce the concepts learned.