Menu

Saxon Grammar and Writing - Jr. high

kclopez

Would like some feedback from those of you who have tried Saxon Grammar and Writing. I'm looking for something for my 8th grader next year. Initially tried Voyages in English for 3 weeks. Didn't like it. We tried Shurley in 6th. I thought it was going well for him but SAT scores dropped significantly in the language Arts. This year we used K12. I like it but don't want to go to next course yet as it is 8th/9th. I want to wait a year on it. He still has trouble applying and identifying grammar rules.

We use Saxon math. It goes ok for him.

I really want a year to solidify rules and parts of speech.

Thanks for your feedback.

thanks! Anyone else tried it with a jr higher? Maybe it is too mom heavy??? I also thought about just spending the year going through the book REX BARKS for diagramming as this sure solidified grammar for me in jr. high.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

thanks! Anyone else tried it with a jr higher? Maybe it is too mom heavy??? I also thought about just spending the year going through the book REX BARKS for diagramming as this sure solidified grammar for me in jr. high.

Sorry, it's just me again:D From what Cathy Duffy said and the samples I have seen it doesn't look too mom heavy.

Here is a little of what RR says about it:

In general, the scope and sequence starts with the basics -- parts of speech, types of sentences, basic capitalization and punctuation, sentence and paragraph construction -- and progresses systematically and structurally through the intricacies of the American language with the goal of elegant and effective writing. Skills are carefully sequenced, building one upon another, then thoroughly (some might be tempted to say exhaustively) reviewed. As we’ve seen with Saxon math, this type of content structuring produces competence and retention. I think there will be an added advantage applying this approach to language arts. Often the big picture of language arts is totally missed by using a workbook for vocabulary, one for spelling, another for grammar, and a totally different writing program. In Saxon (Hake) Grammar & Writing, it’s possible to see how each component works together to produce an accomplished and skilled scholar. An 8th grade “graduate†of this series will have all the skills needed to tackle high school (or even college) writing assignments - which undoubtedly brings up questions about jumping in midstream or using the program with younger or older students. The 5th grade book could be used with a strong 4th grader. Likewise, the 8th grade course could be used effectively by any high school (or adult) student whose coverage of grammar and writing topics has been scattered or light or irregular and who needs a thorough review. The “jumping in†question is a little harder to address. If a student has had a fair amount of grammar/writing instruction then they could probably start at grade level in this series. There is plenty of review providing an opportunity to “re-teach†some concepts. However, if a student has had very little grammar or writing instruction, he will probably be much more comfortable starting with the 5th grade book.

I have used Hake Grammar 6 this year with my 4 kids who are in grades 5 and 7. I was disappointed. They don't seem to retain much over time, so I will not be returning to Hake next year. I got much more mileage out of Winston Grammar and am looking into Analytical Grammar for next year. I hope this doesn't burst anyone's bubble. We are huge fans of Saxon Math and went with Hake because of the mixed review concept, but it doesn't seem to work as well with Grammar as it does in Math - at least for us. It doesn't have enough real vocabulary building or sentence diagramming for my taste. There are bits of both, but not enough in any meaningful way to really nail it down. Vocabulary is only reviewed in multiple choice questions which are silly if you put in the wrong answer. Now I'm just on the hunt for a good vocabulary program.

Hope that helps,

I hope this doesn't burst anyone's bubble. ,

No burst bubbles here;) thanks for your in-put. I'm really excited to try it out. It looks like something that will benefit my son. I plan to use JAG/AG in the summers :001_huh: plus they will eventually start The Latin Road.

Can you comment on the writing portion? I'm still on the fence about that. I guess once I receive it I'll be able to make a decision.

Again, thanks!

I've got level 5, and I think it's a wonderful program. If you guys like Saxon math, I would be shocked if you didn't like Saxon grammar. It's set up nearly identical to Saxon math.