Menu

JAG Q. (Playing with Words)

For those of you using JAG, the" Playing with Words" where they write a little paragraph; do you allow them to look at the "How did I do?" page before writing the paragraph?

They get 2 points if they use the word 'boy', 2 points for using the proper noun Mr. Ferguson and so forth.

The words that are listed does not have the word 'boy' but does have 'Mr. Ferguson'

Anyway, just wanting to know if it's okay to take a peek before they write it.

Thank you,

For those of you using JAG, the" Playing with Words" where they write a little paragraph; do you allow them to look at the "How did I do?" page before writing the paragraph?

They get 2 points if they use the word 'boy', 2 points for using the proper noun Mr. Ferguson and so forth.

The words that are listed does not have the word 'boy' but does have 'Mr. Ferguson'

Anyway, just wanting to know if it's okay to take a peek before they write it.

Thank you,

That's fine if they want to look at the rubric. It doesn't give them the answers, just tells when what the expectations are.

I always let my dd look back at what she has learned. I am not trying to get her to memorize anything, I just want to reinforce what she is learning. So even on tests I allow her to look back through the book.

Oh, yes! It's imperative that the worksheets AND tests be open note. it specifically says that in the teacher book. Memorization is a VERY surface level of learning. It doesn't guarantee understanding. Internalization does, though.

I don't allow or not allow it. The whole thing is right there, so their may be looking and I don't know about it. My 2nd dd did just ok in the first one and has done outstanding on the rest, so I suspect she is looking, but don't know for sure. I don't care if she does.

Heather

I had to come back to report that my dd who does not like to write because of the physical labor required and having to think of what to write, loved the "Playing with Words" She even used all the words!

I almost thought to skip this portion of JAG but decided that would not be wise.

To my surprise she not only had fun with this assignment BUT and this is big for my girl, she wrote a rough draft first, THEN, wrote her final copy! She is already brain storming for her next paragraph (she peeked to the next unit;))

I think she liked the challenge of using all the words at least that's what she said :thumbup:.

Edited by Homeschooling6

I had to come back to report that my dd who does not like to write because of the physical labor required, loved the "Playing with Words"

I almost thought to skip this portion of JAG but decided that would not be wise.

To my surprise she not only had fun with this assignment BUT and this is big for my girl, she wrote a rough draft first, THEN, wrote her final copy! She is already brain storming for her next paragraph (she peeked to the next unit;))

That's so great to hear! Thanks for posting that!