Menu

Aspie DS is showing OCD symptoms

I've discovered within the past few months that DS is having issues with OCD. If he touches something on the left, he has to touch it on the right (not always, but it does happen). Just yesterday, he touched the right side of his face for some reason, then immediately touched the left. He gets frustrated sometimes and says, "Why do I have to do that?!" He's actually the one that pointed out to me that he was doing it.

I haven't made a big deal out of it, but I'm a bit concerned. Should I be actively pursuing this right now, or just let it rest and keep an eye on it?

I don't think it bothers him that he has to do those things.

My son didn't seem to have as many OCD type tendencies until all the hormones of puberty hit. He was about 11yo when we started noticing the OCD behaviors. My son also started taking Zoloft at about that same age. He was a *very* easy going child until hormones began raging through his body. The Zoloft does help keep his emotions more even, but it does nothing for the OCD type behaviors.

My ds has to do everything in even numbers. If he kisses me on the cheek, he has to kiss me twice. If he gets mad at his brother and pushes him, he has to push him twice. He's always checking to make sure the doors and cabinets are closed. He has a certain number of times he pushes on each door to make sure it's closed and it's an even number. When he watches tv, he counts his breaths from 1 to 8, then he starts over again. He says it's relaxing to him to do that. I only found out about the breath counting a few months ago. He says he's been doing it for a while, but I never knew.

Greta:)

My 11yo ds (not Aspie, but SPD, language disorder, etc., etc.) has started having OCD-type anxiety in the past several months, since right around his 11th birthday. I think hormones have brought it on.

Currently, we're seeing a naturopath to see if she can help. We'll consider medication if we need to.

Wendi

My 10 year old has had OCD symptoms too. Her therapist suggested we nip it in the bud before they snowball. It started to interfer with our daily life. We went through this thing where she tells her OCD monster "NO!" when she catches herself doing things. sounds weird but it took the pressure off her and helped a lot. I catch her doing things but not with the frequency or intensity as before. She is an even number girl. Just today my husband took my son to the doctors and I had just her and the baby. It was an odd number of people and she commented on it, where as before we wouldn't have been able to leave the house.

My 11yo ds (not Aspie, but SPD, language disorder, etc., etc.) has started having OCD-type anxiety in the past several months, since right around his 11th birthday. I think hormones have brought it on.

Currently, we're seeing a naturopath to see if she can help. We'll consider medication if we need to.

Wendi

I've been thinking about taking DS to a naturopath. We really try to avoid medication if at all possible. I'd be interested in any results you see.

My 10 year old has had OCD symptoms too. Her therapist suggested we nip it in the bud before they snowball. It started to interfer with our daily life. We went through this thing where she tells her OCD monster "NO!" when she catches herself doing things. sounds weird but it took the pressure off her and helped a lot. I catch her doing things but not with the frequency or intensity as before. She is an even number girl. Just today my husband took my son to the doctors and I had just her and the baby. It was an odd number of people and she commented on it, where as before we wouldn't have been able to leave the house.

I'm going to share that with DS. He doesn't WANT to always have to touch things equally, so I'll see if it's something he can have success with. TFS!

• 2 weeks later...