Menu

Language Arts to supplement Analytical Grammar

We use and love Analytical Grammar, but it only covers grammar for Seasons 1 and 2. (We will be using Season 2 next year.) I have one who will be in Season 1 next year.

What would you recommend for other language arts skills to supplement AG? For example, synonyms, homonyms, antonyms, business/friendly letters, sentence types, etc...

This would be for 6th and 7th grades.

We use and love Analytical Grammar, but it only covers grammar for Seasons 1 and 2. (We will be using Season 2 next year.) I have one who will be in Season 1 next year.

What would you recommend for other language arts skills to supplement AG? For example, synonyms, homonyms, antonyms, business/friendly letters, sentence types, etc...

This would be for 6th and 7th grades.

Do you mean spelling? or what? I'm not sure which "language arts" you mean. Sorry. :-(

Specifically, I am trying to find language arts skills that are not parts of speech and diagramming. That is what AG is being used for.

For example:

• Punctuation (covered in Season 3, but I don't want to ignore it until then.)
  • Capitalization
  • Types of sentences: declarative, interrogative, imperative, exclamatory, compound, complex
  • S/V agreement; helping verbs, regular/irregular verbs; tense
  • Word usage: Synonyms, antonyms, homonyms
  • Business/friendly letters

I think I'll just need to get a basic grammar book and cover skills that only supplement AG.

We used Easy Grammar this year to take a break from Abeka. Rod and Staff gets so many good reviews, but I really don't like having to write out sentences. For some reason, CLE doesn't just excite me even though it also gets great reviews. I might have to study this more. Cathy Duffy reviewed Christian Liberty Press: Applications of Grammar which looked pretty good: straightforward, contains some of the points above, but with no color. It's a possibility.

We really struggle with finishing lessons in a timely way. I'm trying to find curricula that is straightforward. Easy Grammar has been good for that. We could do this again, but the lack of color is a significant disadvantage for my kids. They respond so much better to colorful text. (Abeka)

One more thing to muddy the water: Since spelling/vocabulary are also part of language arts, I would LOVE to find something that helps us develop writing more mature sentences. We used IEW Themed Writing: Early American History this year: fantastic!

Now I need to refine the skills we learned: write really good sentences with mature vocabulary appropriate for upper elementary/jr. high years. I found Great Editing Adventures and Great Explorations in editing. These might help us with this.

Ugh! Maybe AG is enough. I don't mean to make this complicated. Is AG with Great Editing a good combo for 6th and 7th grades, or do I need something more rigorous like Rod and Staff, CLE, or Abeka????

What about Editor in Chief as well?

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama