Menu

Comprehensive Science Curriculum and Standardized Testing

MissKNG

Which science curricula is the most comprehensive for state testing prepartions?  

1. 1. Which science curricula is the most comprehensive for state testing prepartions?

• Sonlight Science
    • Noeo Science
    • God's Design for Science

Hello...

Which is these science curricula would you consider the most comprehensive when it comes to preparing a child for standardize state testing? What do you think and why?

We are using Sonlight K now and love it but is it comprehensive enough to prepare students for testing? We do go in depth on topics of interest and I've added more projects and activities to SL. So would any of these programs be comprehensive enough if I do that?

*I didn't add an "other" option because I'm specifically asking about these 3 only. :D

Thanks!!

ETA: I don't like misspelling stuff - so "preparations" is what should be in my poll question!!

Edited by MissKNG

Hello...

Which is these science curricula would you consider the most comprehensive when it comes to preparing a child for standardize state testing? What do you think and why?

We are using Sonlight K now and love it but is it comprehensive enough to prepare students for testing? We do go in depth on topics of interest and I've added more projects and activities to SL. So would any of these programs be comprehensive enough if I do that?

*I didn't add an "other" option because I'm specifically asking about these 3 only. :D

Thanks!!

ETA: I don't like misspelling stuff - so "preparations" is what should be in my poll question!!

It depends on what test is allowed. Here in Oregon we can do the CAT 5, which covers only math and LA, and even if you choose to use a more in depth test the only scores you have to ever hand in (and then only if asked to) are math and LA.

I have used SL and God's Design. I prefer God's Design, but that is more because it keeps things simple. I have enough other stuff going on with 4 kids so close in age.

To be honest I think they would all have similar test results. One program or another may click more with a child depending on their learning style and likes or dislikes. SL uses a lot Usborne books, which my kids don't care for (and why I moved away from it), but God's Design is a little dry at time as well, but has more stuff to do, which works better for my crew. Noeo is laid out more like SL, but the topics are more cohesive, where SL will jump around more each year. For example science 3 is Biology heavy, specifically animal and plants and has Physics where Science 4 is Physics heavy with some Earth Science (space). The year 5 is back to Biology with a focus on Human body, nutrition, reproduction but also has a section on computers. SL I believe still has issues with the experiments not always lining up with the topic being read about in the early levels, so Noeo would be better for a child who needed everything to line up, but most kids can actually jump topics much better than us adults do.

Heather