Menu

History and Science curriculum for 1st grade or just do it on my own?

ChristusG

This year, my daughter is in kindergarten. We didn't do "full on" history and science but we just did it periodically. I chose a subject, got some stuff together, and we did the lessons/crafts/worksheets/etc.

We did about a two month long study on animals (their habitats, ways the get their food, their coverings, their appendages, their ways of protection, etc). We just finished covering 5 weeks of the five senses. We did a week or more on the Medieval Times. We did a week on Creation. Just stuff like that.

I'm wondering about doing the same thing for 1st grade.

Some ideas for science that I have are: life cycle of butterflies and frogs, the human body (I have lesson plans for this already), clouds, weather, volcanos, nutrition, planets, biomes, and mammals.

Some social studies/history/other ideas I have are: community helpers, occupations, Colombus, communication, folk tales and fairy tales, FL history, states (we've already begun learning these and she knows about 20 of them), different cultures, elections, the Titanic, and mythology.

Should I continue with doing the topics that I choose? Or do you think that I should do a "real" curriculum that leads me through everything?

If you think the topics are okay, are there any you would add for a first grader?

I was just looking through my Core Knowledge book and this is what they have listed for 1st grade science. Habitats, oceans and undersea life, environmental changes and habitat destruction, special classifications of animals ( herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, extinct animals), the human body (skeletal, muscular, digestive, ciculatory, and nervous system) matter, properties of matter: measurement, intro to electricity, astronomy (sun, moon, planets, and stars) Earth (geograhical feature's of the Earth's surface, what's inside the Earth) and science biographies (Rachel Carson, Thomas Edison, Edward Jenner, and Louis Pasteur).

1st grade World History and Geography- working with globes to locate continents, directions, and symbols, early civlizations (Mesopotamia, Egypt) history of world religions (Judaism, Chrisianity, Islam) modern civilization and Culture ( geography and culture of Mexico)

1st grade American History and Geography- early people and civilizations (early hunters & nomads, Maya, Inca, and Aztec) early exploration and settlement ( the Conquistadors, English settlers, Columbus) The American Revolution ( original 13 colonies, 4th of July, Boston Tea Party, Benjamin Franklin, George Washington) early exploration of the American West ( Daniel Boone, The Louisiana Purchase) symbols and figures ( Liberty Bell, current president, American flag, Eagle).

Wow, that seems like a lot doesn't it? I recently came across this site and might incorporate some of it into my 1st grade curriculum for science and history www.lessonpathways.com

We used the book "How Children Lived" as a history spine and made a simple timeline on a clothesline. We'll be doing a state history unit when we wrap up with How Children Lived. For science, I cobbled together my own stuff as well as followed DD's interests.

What you have planned sounds good.