Menu

First College visit

What's the average number of years it takes for most students to graduate from your school? What percentage graduate in four years, for example? five years? six years?

What percentage of students who graduate are in grad school within one year of graduating from your school? What percentage are gainfully employed? employed in their field?

Do you provide required classes for most majors often enough to make it feasible for most students to graduate in four years? Do you give preference to juniors and seniors for classes they need/want?

Do you really, truly enforce your stated rules regarding housing living arrangements? or do students co-habitate in the dorms?

That's just a few I can think of at at the moment.....

Some ideas I sent a friend who will be going with her child on some college tours:

to eat in the cafeteria and chat with nearby students, read bulletin boards you pass in classroom buildings and other settings (you'll learn a lot by what you see), read the graffiti in the bathrooms, pick up any school newspapers or publications you wander past, check out the bookstore (both textbooks and the more general areas; look to see what books are used in a general composition class that all students might take) and the library, and look at the students (my daughter was surprised at how uniform some of the students looked at one of the colleges she visited).

Also, this thread might give you some more ideas: How do you find out the atmosphere of a school?

Regards,

Kareni