Menu

S/O of car thread. Any detailers here??

Joe Mondello, who has had a head porting biz since the 60's has a school.

Tele # 888MONDELLO. I was one of the first girls in his class. I've been porting since 1998. (we own a biz building engines for classic Fords) I used to do the cylinder head work, now I HS 4children. I have to work this weekend though.(racing season is coming up and people want their cars ready)

Lara

Joe Mondello, who has had a head porting biz since the 60's has a school.

Tele # 888MONDELLO. I was one of the first girls in his class. I've been porting since 1998. (we own a biz building engines for classic Fords) I used to do the cylinder head work, now I HS 4children. I have to work this weekend though.(racing season is coming up and people want their cars ready)

Lara

That is really, really cool!! I always wanted to learn more about what goes on under the hood. I even told my mom that after highschool I wanted to take auto mechanics, but she freaked out and forbade me to do it. :( I still want to learn auto mechanics and I'm 38 now!! lol Sadly the most I've ever done is rebuild a carburetor. That's how I got into detailing actually because it was something I could teach myself and learn through trial and error (lots of those). But it has been good for me. I still got to bond with cars (even if not under the hood) and spend time working on them. I've been doing side jobs for years now and it's a good way to make some extra dough. I even was a moderator on 3 different detailing sites helping people understand the process and giving them advice. I did that until my homeschooling just got too time consuming. But I still detail on the side. I just finished a car this morning in fact and have 2 more to do after it. I'll be working this weekend too. ;) Here she is if you're interested. It was a 20+ year old Acura. Pretty beat up, but I managed to get her to shine some. :)

BEFORES:

038.jpg

039.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

045.jpg

and some AFTERS. I could take as many after shots (shame too because I wanted to take a front shot and get the headlights because they were positively glowing after I polished them) but the client had just showed up to take it home and I could only get a couple taken. But here they are. :)

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

It's neat that you love it so much! I can't day I love what I do, I never get to talk to a customer to be appreciated. Men think its cool that I can build their engine, but wouldn't trust me to do it and women sort of glaze their eyes and change the subject. Thats my life, forver to be misunderstood.

Lara

It's neat that you love it so much! I can't day I love what I do, I never get to talk to a customer to be appreciated. Men think its cool that I can build their engine, but wouldn't trust me to do it and women sort of glaze their eyes and change the subject. Thats my life, forver to be misunderstood.

Lara

:grouphug: I TOTALLY know what you mean. Most men that aren't familiar with what I do as a hobby think I can't possibly know anything about anything when it comes to cars and then the see some pictures of my past details and the next thing I know they are asking me for advice. hehe It's really hard to be a woman in a guy dominated field and to be taken seriously. But I like to think that people like you and me are doing something positive by changing their minds a little at a time. They can't say that "chicks know nothing about cars! Well, except for that one...." ;) :D