Menu

Dr. frustration (NOT healthcare bill related)

We moved here in Dec. I chose to keep my Tricare standard so I could *choose* my dr. I've always done this when dh was activated with the nat. guard. and it has been no big deal. I pay more out of pocket, but it's worth it to me.

Until yesterday.

I have had a migraine for 4 days now. It's not a "cut my head off now because I can't stand the pain anymore" kind of headache, but it's that constant throb that gets worse in the sun, or with noise, or with the wrong smell. I haven't looked for a dr. here because I haven't needed one here yet. I just keep putting it off. So finally I go to the little urgent care place 2 nights ago and they won't prescribe my migraine medication. I'm not certain I understand the reasoning, but they won't prescribe any type of migraine pain medication. They give me a shot of toradol (?) which helps for the night, but I woke up yesterday with the headache back.

I called drs all day yesterday. Either they aren't accepting new patients at all or the earliest I can get in is MAY. I asked what people do when they get sick here and she said "Go to the ER." WHAT? This is ridiculous. I get to go sit in the ER for a headache?

ARGHHH!

:sad: Well, that's totally unreasonable! We had to search and search for a family practice that wasn't so big it was hard to get into for appointments. We drive 20 miles to a smaller town. The practice is in a renovated house, there is only one doctor, but love him! Good luck with your search!

I think the ER might also have rules about pain medications. I have a friend with migraines, and she recently was out of her medication (on a weekend) and was in terrible pain. She went to the ER, but they wanted her to see her regular doctor, and limited the type of meds they could give her.

I think they're worried about people just showing up at urgent care centers and ERs to get pain medication. They want the patient to be seeing a regular doctor who knows them.

Wendi