Menu

Just when I think I'm done planning! Will you tell me more about Lively Latin?

KIN

I've been planning to go to LCI (have it, in fact!) after we finish PL in a few weeks, ds is in 2nd right now. BUT, I just read about Lively Latin and Latin Prep. I have a few Lively Lain questions:

Is the big book a one year program?

What is past Big Book 2?

Would you move to Latin Prep after Lively Latin book 1 or 2 or never?

Can you tell me what a normal week looks like?

Do I have to do the history?

Anything else I need to know?

Is the big book a one year program? Yes.

What is past Big Book 2? Lively prepares students for Henle.

Would you move to Latin Prep after Lively Latin book 1 or 2 or never? Can't answer that one - sorry!

Can you tell me what a normal week looks like? We took two weeks or more to get through each unit, but that was with a 6yo. If you got straight through the chapter, you might have two days of grammar followed by a history day, followed by a day or two of vocabulary and derivatives. It does vary a bit from chapter to chapter, though.

Do I have to do the history? No, although it's easy; much of it is just reading with a few activities.

Anything else I need to know? Two things I really like about Lively Latin: (1) English grammar instruction is well integrated, and (2) it's the closest thing to a self-teaching Latin program I've seen for elementary school. HTH!

Plaid Dad -

Do you recommend Lively Latin over LCI? Why or why not? I see that you are now using Lingua Latina and I'm sure I'm not ready for that, LOL! Is Lively your next choice for a 3rd grader after Prima? Thanks!

Do you recommend Lively Latin over LCI?

Both are good, solid programs; I don't have a strong preference for one or the other. I think some people would find Lively Latin easier to teach because it is a "do the next thing" curriculum that requires little or no prep from the teacher. There is also much more review built into the program; LC relies on the teacher to provide drill and review through Latin recitation or with a supplement like Ludere Latine. On the other hand, Lively has bells and whistles that may be overkill for some families. If you don't need the history component, character studies, etc. and just want a straightforward Latin course, LC would be preferable. It's also a bit less expensive. The other factor is whether you want an explicitly Christian course or not. LC includes some Christian material; Lively is secular.

HTH!

Both are good, solid programs; I don't have a strong preference for one or the other.

Whew! That makes me feel better. We are doing fine with Prima Latina & I had decided to go with LCI, then I had a momentary "AH, what if I've picked the wrong program?!?" lapse. :willy_nilly: Just out of curiosity, what Latin programs for the early years do you recommend? Or, am I asking too much and should just wait until the new LCC is out? It's O.K. to tell me that! :tongue_smilie:

The other items have been answered.

Would you move to Latin Prep after Lively Latin book 1 or 2 or never?
It depends solely on the maturity and ability of the child. LL is very gently paced, while LP is more intense, moves faster, and has more exercises. Generally, I'd say 5th grade and up for LP. We're close to starting LL2 with my oldest and I'm not sure where to go next. She'll still be quite young when she'd finished, and I don't think she'll be ready for LP.

Would you need to do Prima Latina first in order to get more out of Lively Latin, or could I just do LL without Prima. I will have a 2nd and 4th grader. Sorry to keep the hijacking going!

No, PL would not be at all necessary for Lively Latin. PL isn't even necessary for LC - everything in it is repeated in the higher course. It's just a nice, gentle introduction to Latin for the youngest kids. :)