Menu

TOG Users - How do you like TOG writing?

vlshort

I'm on my second year of TOG, and have used IEW for both years. Considering Classical Writing for Older Beginners, or TOG writing for next year. What are your thoughts on TOG writing? Does Writing Aids offer enough teaching of techniques? What has your experience been like? My ds will be 7th grade, and is a reluctant writer.

TIA!

-vanessa

I'm using WA with my ds, and he is doing great with it. He has Aspergers, and while he is highly intelligent, he has trouble organizing his thoughts. The graphic organizers have been great for him, and the ability to jump up and down levels in WA is also very helpful. He has trouble with working outside his sphere of interest, so it is an effort to stay focused. The pacing of each writing project is wonderful for him. As an example, I had him working at level 3 on a recent writing project. The first week, he was reviewing the steps in the writing process, the next week he was filling out a ladder diagram on a topic. The following week, he was making full sentences from his ladder diagram. If I felt this was too easy for ds, I could easily have moved him up to a higher level for a few weeks while still doing other weekly writing work at this level. This and WWE have been good for building confidence. We are planning on adding IEW when we get to Yr 2. The WA book has a lot of info in it on all kinds of writing topics, and helpful grading info. I would suggest picking it up used to see if it would work for you. It does have good resale value.