Menu

SOTW 1 Literature and Resources Question?

Fiction or non-fiction, or both?

For non-fiction, I'd look at The Egyptian News, The Greek News, & The Roman News, since each covers a broad spectrum in one resource. Alternatively, you could even go for the Eyewitness books for each civilization (we have these for DS next year b/c DD will be using them as well). There's also the "People of the Ancient World" series, which looks to me to be on a 3rd or 4th grade level? But there's a ton of variety - The Ancient Greeks, The Ancient Romans, The Ancient Celts, The Ancient Ku****es, The Ancient Chinese, The Ancient Mayans... you get the idea.

Fiction? A book of Greek Myths (probably D'Aulaire's), McCaughrean's Roman Myths, Rosemary Sutcliff's retellings of the Iliad and the Odyssey, Penelope Lively's retelling of the Aeneid, a book of Egyptian myths, Ludmilla Zeman's Gilgamesh trilogy, and then if you could, a book of North & South American myths & legends, the same for Africa, Indian, and China.

Fiction or non-fiction, or both?

For non-fiction, I'd look at The Egyptian News, The Greek News, & The Roman News, since each covers a broad spectrum in one resource. Alternatively, you could even go for the Eyewitness books for each civilization (we have these for DS next year b/c DD will be using them as well). There's also the "People of the Ancient World" series, which looks to me to be on a 3rd or 4th grade level? But there's a ton of variety - The Ancient Greeks, The Ancient Romans, The Ancient Celts, The Ancient Ku****es, The Ancient Chinese, The Ancient Mayans... you get the idea.

Fiction? A book of Greek Myths (probably D'Aulaire's), McCaughrean's Roman Myths, Rosemary Sutcliff's retellings of the Iliad and the Odyssey, Penelope Lively's retelling of the Aeneid, a book of Egyptian myths, Ludmilla Zeman's Gilgamesh trilogy, and then if you could, a book of North & South American myths & legends, the same for Africa, Indian, and China.

Thanks ! I am not limiting myself to 10, I just want to see what the favorites are, I don't want to miss something great !!!

I am looking for fiction and non fiction.