Menu

Cross Post: A book recommendation for teaching boys

FloridaLisa

I thought this was equally applicable (or perhaps even more helpful) for those of us with boys in K-8.

The short recommendation: The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life by Michael Gurian and Kathy Stevens

The longer recommendation: We've had so many threads over the years about our teen boys and the angst they give us! I have long (20+ years) watched the trend of our girls flourishing in high school, college and, now, graduate schools while our boys are failing to thrive. Go girls! BUT, I'm a mom of 5 boys and as a country we need our boys to succeed equally.

I've read lots of books addressing these issues. I just finished Gurian's The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life. I found it to be one of the most practical books, with suggestions that I can implement in our home to help my boys succeed academically. In fact, I'm now going back through the book making notes on what to change. In many ways, home schooling lends itself to adapting to boy brain. If we are just going to "school at home" however -- with my girl brain expectations and teaching methods, a trap I can easily fall into -- then I'm not using home education at its highest and best.

Hope this helps someone as much as it is helping me,

Lisa

I thought this was equally applicable (or perhaps even more helpful) for those of us with boys in K-8.

The short recommendation: The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life by Michael Gurian and Kathy Stevens

The longer recommendation: We've had so many threads over the years about our teen boys and the angst they give us! I have long (20+ years) watched the trend of our girls flourishing in high school, college and, now, graduate schools while our boys are failing to thrive. Go girls! BUT, I'm a mom of 5 boys and as a country we need our boys to succeed equally.

I've read lots of books addressing these issues. I just finished Gurian's The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life. I found it to be one of the most practical books, with suggestions that I can implement in our home to help my boys succeed academically. In fact, I'm now going back through the book making notes on what to change. In many ways, home schooling lends itself to adapting to boy brain. If we are just going to "school at home" however -- with my girl brain expectations and teaching methods, a trap I can easily fall into -- then I'm not using home education at its highest and best.

Hope this helps someone as much as it is helping me,

Lisa

Thank you! I just finished reading Boys Adrift: The Five Factors Driving the Growing Epidemic of Unmotivated Boys and Underachieving Young Men by Sax. I learned a tremendous amount from that book but your book I'll look forward to reading something from an even more practical standpoint.

Thank you! I just finished reading Boys Adrift: The Five Factors Driving the Growing Epidemic of Unmotivated Boys and Underachieving Young Men by Sax. I learned a tremendous amount from that book but your book I'll look forward to reading something from an even more practical standpoint.

When I told my dad that we were going to put my DS into kindergarten on time despite his Oct 1 birthday (our cut-off is Dec 1), he gave me a funny look and handed me a copy of this book. I actually read it from cover to cover and walked away confident in the decision to enroll my DS in Young 5s instead. Almost 2 years later and I still think we made the right choice because DS needed time to emotionally and socially develop. Educationally, it was a bad move. But that is a different story. I do have to constantly remind myself of the fact that I shouldn't press my kids too early academically despite the fact that they are smart kids. My tendency is to want to challenge them a lot now when what they really need is just the basics and lots of free time for creativity.

How does this book differ from Boys and Girls Learn Differently?

You know, I think I've read this Gurian book as well, because I have read at least one of his before. If it was this one, I don't remember it having as many practical suggestions. Or maybe I just need the layer-upon-layer of learning and I'm finally getting it. :001_smile:

Did you read Boys and Girls Learn Differently? What did you think about it?

Lisa

I do have to constantly remind myself of the fact that I shouldn't press my kids too early academically despite the fact that they are smart kids. My tendency is to want to challenge them a lot now when what they really need is just the basics and lots of free time for creativity.

:iagree: couldn't have said it better myself -- i struggle with this too, but when i can live up to it we are all happier.