Menu

Phonics book for 8th grader?

Teachin'Mine

Is there any such thing as a book to teach the rules of phonics at a fast pace for an 8th grader? Outside of what was briefly covered in the "Complete Curriculum" books in the early elementary years, we didn't do much with phonics. Now when she comes across words, it's hard for her to know the correct pronunciation. For example lament vs lamentation. She asked me why does it change? I learned all the rules because I needed those rules in order to learn how to read, and I apply them all the time, but I can't give her a concrete reason on why something is the way it is, I just know. She just started reading when she was young without having to learn the rules. Any idea of what I can use to help her learn?

I just read about it on the Saxon site and while it sounds great, I think a lot of what it has we don't specifically need. I think that after reading the scope and sequence I could probably narrow down our needs to breaking words into syllables and then how to properly place emphasis on which syllable, and when the vowels should be read as long or short (for longer unknown words). Not sure if what I've written even makes sense. :001_huh:

I'm sort of in the same boat - so have been researching. What about Megawords? There are quite a few posts about it here. I've been considering that one as well. I believe it is more what you're looking for.

It's a spelling program but teaches basic phonics rules along with syllabication.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Thank you for both of those suggestions. :)

I'm looking for something without spelling and other things to do, just something that specifically targets how to pronounce unknown words - whether to give the vowels a long or short sound, and what syllable to place the emphasis on. Maybe there's even a book I could take out of the library and just read one chapter specifically about this with her. Any more ideas?

You could always try Spell to Write and Read. It is a phonics program in addition to a spelling program and has word lists that go to words beyond high school.

But when using it with an older student the first thing you do is teach the phonograms and their sounds and the rules. You make charts for the words that follow the rules. And in the WISE guide you also have lots of great activities for working with the words that include everything from roots to analogies.

Just another idea.:001_smile: