Menu

Transitioning from Saxon Alg. 1/2 to Lial's Beginning Algebra

Should we finish the Saxon? How much review is in the beginning of the Lial's? We should have most of the Saxon done by the end of the school year, but should we just work through the summer on in to get it done?

I use Lial's Introductory Algebra... but Beginning should start with a chapter of Pre-Algebra review. Once you get your text you can look at it and compare to where you are at...

It NEVER hurts to be over prepared--meaning it will not hurt if your student completes the whole Algebra 1/2 text this summer then moves into Algebra 1--the first chapter may be optional at that point!

Jann

Lial has 2 different Algebra 1 programs--Beginning and Introductory!

You should be fine if you cover most of Algebra 1/2. The 2nd chapter in Intro is an introduction to word problems. It is really more of a DIAGNOSTIC tool for the teacher--to see where the students are (what they know)---and word problems are covered later in the text in great detail... (if a student gets stuck here I move on). I don't start 'testing' until chapter 3.

Maybe I'll come up this summer and evaluate your dd (then we can play with chocolate or something)!

Jann