Menu

"Computer class"

Hot Lava Mama

Just curious what kind of computer-type classes you are doing for your kids. Not just younger (typing/keyboarding, etc.) but also older middle and high school students.

I have already had my 3rd & 5th grader learn to keyboard. I am thinking they need a basic computer class (how computers work, etc.), an internet class, word/excel class, and maybe a graphic arts class?

Any suggestions on classes for those things listed above? How about classes I haven't thought of, yet?

Thanks for your help!

Hot Lava Mama

Given how quickly and easily kids seem to pick up anything technology related, I don't expect they will need to be taught things like word processing, spreadsheets, etc, the way that many of us were. So our plan is to offer a learn to type program once ds is writing reasonably well, and then as he gets older just let him have at the computer (with some guidance, obviously around what material he accesses on the internet). If he shows interest, dh who works in IT will facilitate further learning in professional computing stuff.

Mine have taken the FLVS Keyboarding course.

They have also taken computer courses at the local science museum:

Cartoon Club Studio, Scratch, Web Creators, Robotics and they will be taking a Game Creation course next. They are part of a new technology program.