Menu

Has anyone used MFW like this?

TN Mama

Just curious if anyone has used MFW (Adventures) by just purchasing the TM and doing the history and maybe Bible components? Are the required books for Adventures only available through MFWbooks or are they books I would be able to find anywhere?

I really have decided on most of my curriculum for next year, but just can't settle on a ss or history that I'm in love with.

Thanks for any input.

Just curious if anyone has used MFW (Adventures) by just purchasing the TM and doing the history and maybe Bible components? Are the required books for Adventures only available through MFWbooks or are they books I would be able to find anywhere?

I really have decided on most of my curriculum for next year, but just can't settle on a ss or history that I'm in love with.

Thanks for any input.

When we used Adventures, we used everything. You could do just the history and Bible if you wanted to. The science is very light. You could easily skip those lessons or supplement with something else. I think if you purchase the TM, you should consider going ahead and doing the Bible. It is absolutely wonderful. The Bible portion was our favorite part of the curriculum. It doesn't take alot of time and it's basic information about Jesus - info. that really helps the child to understand how and why He is unique among everyone else in history. The books should be available through other suppliers. You could check with Rainbow Resource Center and Christian Book Distributors. I don't think Amazon would have the two main texts, but they are widely available through homeschool providers. I purchased the basic books and primarily used our public library for the book basket books. I also purchased quite a few titles from WinterPromise's American Story 1 program. We really loved the books from the WP catalog. They were among our favorites. MFW has excellent customer service. My orders always arrived quickly. I think their prices are comparable to everyone else's. Some of their users are careful to order directly from them because they support bible translation work with their company profits. Something to consider if that is meaningful to you.

Thanks for your information, Donna. I had set my sights on using a different Bible curriculum for next year, but if we decide to go with MFW I would probably use the Bible plan as well.

Anyone else have any advice about this?

I was thinking of using SOTW or using it with Biblioplan, but I just can't decide if we want to go with Ancient History or a US History. Basically I have made decisions about most of our subjects next year... don't know why I am struggling with this one. Sure makes me feel a bit flaky, though! :willy_nilly:

Just wanted to add that you should be able to pick up the tm used. There's a yahoo group (can't remember the name right off-hand) to sell MFW curricula. Also wanted to say that the science of Adventures is tied to the Bible (most of the time). For example, when learning Jesus is the Bread of Life, there are readings and experiments with yeast, baking bread, etc. It is not a necessary component, but is fun :). The Bible portion is learning the names of Jesus.

If you're wanting a one year overview of American History, Adventures is a good way to go. But you will want to buy the tm used, as $100 new is pretty steep (to me) just for a manual (even though it's great!), and you'll need to look for books. When I find the yahoo group, I"ll post it (if someone doesn't beat me to it).

Just plugging in a defense for the $100 price tag on the MFW TMs. ;) They are SO complete, full of teacher's notes, daily and weekly lesson plans, supply lists, and of course the very extensive Book Basket list, of which every single book has been pre-read by the author and/or her family. Plus they cover every subject, including music, art, everything, and even plunking in reminders to do math and LA, whether you're using their recommendations for those subjects or not.

MFW has a pretty good resale value, too, so you're not completely wasting it if you only use a couple of the core subjects.

Just plugging in a defense for the $100 price tag on the MFW TMs. ;) They are SO complete, full of teacher's notes, daily and weekly lesson plans, supply lists, and of course the very extensive Book Basket list, of which every single book has been pre-read by the author and/or her family. Plus they cover every subject, including music, art, everything, and even plunking in reminders to do math and LA, whether you're using their recommendations for those subjects or not.

MFW has a pretty good resale value, too, so you're not completely wasting it if you only use a couple of the core subjects.

Hey Donna!

I'm not knocking it, really! Just think that for just a couple of subjects, she may want to purchase it used. That way, when she completely falls in love with it, it won't cost so much to buy the rest of the stuff to complete the curriculum :D.

We are currently using MFW Adventures in addition to WP AS I. The longer we use Adventures, the more I like it. I think their booklist in the Appendix is worth its weight in gold. There are so many wonderful picture books that I am so glad we did not miss.... especially now that we are doing the States Study.

As for extra books to buy with the TM, I really like the Pioneers and Patriots book, and all of them, really. :D It is so hard to choose, isn't it?!!

Brenda

We started out the year with CtG, planning to use it pretty much as written. (We do languages instead of roots & don't use Spelling Power.) After a little while, we dropped the science because we didn't like the Genesis for Kids book, so it basically meant that we were only using it for history and Bible.

I almost didn't answer because we ended up liking our own spine (Story of the Ancient World Guerber/Miller) better than their resources -- so we have basically been using CtG's weekly topics, Bible memory passages, and some of the go-along reading.

I'm not sure if that helps, but I think it would be fine to use Adventures for only the history and Bible. As others have said, I'd try to find it used.