Menu

Have you pulled your child from ps to hs high school?

I'm curious to know about the experiences of those who homeschooled prior to high school, put dc in school for high school, but pulled them out again and homeschooled them for high school.

Does this describe anyone here? Why did you pull the child from school?

My middle dd went to PS for K then was homeschooled through 5th grade. She returned to PS in 6th. About 4 weeks into 10th grade she asked to come home again. My dd has some health problems (thyroid does not work) and her anxiety level was pushing her to the point of being suicidal! So home she came. She is happliy doing dual enrollment this year (11th grade) at our local CC. She was also invited to return to the high school band as an 'unofficial' member--she practices with them a few times each week and plays with them at concerts (but not contests).

Our local PS is a great school and dd had a huge circle of friends that we (as her parents) were PROUD to have her hang with...they are all STILL her friends even though she is now homeschooled. We have VERY VERY few high school homeschoolers in our area--and the closest co-op is over an hour away.

It was a great decision for THIS daughter.

Our oldest was in PS through 2nd grade and was homeschooled until graduation last year.

Our youngest attends PS (2nd grade currently) and we do not have plans to homeschool her unless we feel it is what is best--right now PS is working great for her.

Well, hope I cna help (somewhat).

From age 5 to age 8 my D was homeschooled in a small group, we paid a tutor to teach all 6 children from different families. We lived on a n island and the public education wasn't great. Our D excelled, we had her tested (gifted) and once a week she broke from the homeschool to go to ps for the afternoon and mix with other gifted students. It was okay for her but she liked her homeschool group best, the children were all from very similar families.

Then we moved to the mainland and our D went into public school, gifted program. She was okay with it in the younger grades but by middle school she was asking to be homeschooled again, she was having anxiety attacks. My hubby was adamant and said no, so D stayed in ps. She did okay there, socially, but her grades slipped and although she is a very bright girl (IQ 140+) she tried so hard to fit in...even her teachers told her that she was such a different child she may find the ps high school a difficult fit.

In h/s we put her into a 100% gifted school, it is public, and D hated it. It is really a pure college prep school with lots and lots of academic busywork and no creative thought: veyr anxeity-producing for D. So D asked to be transferred to regular ps, some of her friends were there.

Well, it has been a rocky 3 years in ps to say the least--D hated it so much that she doubled up on her classes to graduate a year early!--but by Christmas D came down with 2 long-term illnesses simultaneously and we were forced to make a decision 1) let D remain enrolled in the ps school system but have a home tutor (form the school board) work with her while she is out of school, which would delay her graduation another year [she would graduate on time vs. a year early, as planned] or 2) homeschool her ourself.

SHE chose the latter. D could do much better at home, in less time, with fewer distractions. Much of ps is busy work. Also, another thing is that she was in ps taking Algebra 2 and we realized it was the very same material being taught in College Algebra at the local CC. So we said to ourselves, why waste a year of doing the same thing twice--and be unprepared from the ps Algebra (most kids need remedial math at the cc). Additionally, our D took her SAT at age 16 and she scored very high, especially in English (a 710/690). Her high school went and enrolled her in a DE English Class to cover ENC1101. Come to find out, the state unversity she is applying to (and many of our state universities) exempt their Frehsman from ENC1101 if they score higher than a 650 in critical reading, which our D did. So again, the ps was having her take an unnecessary (duplicatate) course just to fulfill a certain number of X graduation requirements.

Also, our D was trying to advance in Spanish (we travel frequently to Latin countries and she has a good knowledge of the language). She was put into Spanish 3 at hs and found it was nothing more than a repeat of Spanish 2, she was bored to tears, worksheets and more worksheets. She went into Spanish 4 but there she learned she should be in Intermediate Spanish at the local cc. Her ps would not let her take it or get credit for it, they had a certain number of electives requirements (mass media, board games, etc) that she absolutely had to take at her school to graduate, an Intermediate College Spanish Class wasn't "good enough". So by this time D was just marking time to get enough credits to graduate. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) she became ill.

She is much happier at home, she is learning more (although we are still working on the math issue) and she is less stressed. Also, she drives now and my hubby doesn't worry about the homeschooling interfering with her social life...not that she has much time for one, what with her homeschool stuff, her hobbies and interests, her exercise (she goes to the gym everyday for 45 minutes) and her boyfriend.

Hope this helps!

We homeschooled from 3rd-7th. He went to a private Christian school for 8th (that only went through 8th grade). He was accepted at the academic high school magnet for 9th grade (PS) and he came home this year for 10th and will stay home until graduation.

Not sure what info you are looking for ~ Debbie

Not sure what info you are looking for

I'm just looking to hear people's different experiences. :) My dd is probably going to go to high school, but I hope that whatever road we take, that is what we do for the entirety. OTOH, I don't think all would be lost if she went and then came back home for whatever reason. Except I may be sorry I lost that time.

Thanks for your stories.

my 2nd and 3rd children (girl/boy) were homeschooled from 1/2nd grade until last year when they were in 9th/10th. we were in the middle of moving 1000 miles away and had to live with my inlaws for 6 months (yes, 9 of us and 2 black labs), leaving all our belongings in our home. the public school (my dh's alma mater and one of the best in the county) was boring to my kids. they were past their grade peers, but didn't have many options and their counselors wanted to hold them back since they were "new to the system" (even though they scored very well on the entrance exams). when the 8th and 5th grader found out i was homeschooling the 1st grader, they begged to be homeschooled again. the high school sent my 10th grade daughter to a vo-tech type campus where she was stalked by a dozen college age boys, so we pulled her out quick and my 9th grade boy decided he didn't want to be the only one left in public school.

so. we pulled them all out, joined our local homeschool co-op (where many of their church friends attend as well) and haven't looked back.

hth,

jodi

My dd was in ps from k-6, hs'd for 7-9, and then decided she wanted to go to ps for the rest of HS for various social/sports reasons. When she started back at ps, I thought there was no way she would come back home...At the end of first term she was doing really well, and pretty much told me to forget her coming back home, but she changed her mind about 2 weeks into the next term. In a matter of 8-10 days it went from, "I love school", to "Well...I'll finish out the year, but I think I want to be hs'd next year", then, "I really want to be hs'd next year", and then "PLEASE NO!!!!DON'T MAKE ME GO BACK!!!" She's a really sensitive, but street smart, kind of kid and I think the constant need to be on guard all the time really started stressing her out. Don't get it twisted, it's not like the school she went to was bad-in fact, it was an award winning fundemental school-so when I say "on guard", I don't mean physically (well kind of- there was that suspension for fighting, but it was in self defense), I mean mentally. Lets face it teenagers are teenagers and there was just sooooo much drama. She's much happier now that she's home, but MY stress level is through the roof:001_smile:, but that's ok and another thread in itself.

When she went back to ps, I told her that I would support her decision 100%, but that the door was always open for her to come home at any time. However, once she came home, that was it. No more going back to ps and she has to finish out hs at home.

If your dd does go to ps and then come home at some point, I wouldn't worry too much about lost time. It's not really lost time, but more of a learning experience. Your dd has to learn for herself if ps is right for her or not.