Menu

Bridge to Latin Road

ahancock

Has anyone here used the Bridge to the Latin Road to English Grammar? I am planning my year in advance because of income tax money, LOL!!! I have been very disappointed with Prima Latina and want something else. I like the idea of having something that would take care of grammar, usage, and Latin at the same time.

I previewed her sample disk... for the english part I think. I was impressed. I'm not into it enough right now, as I do my own version of WRTR that is working for my son. BUT, if I was going to purchase a program I'd really look at it.

Also, I don't plan on Latin till 3rd grade... I'll look at Lively Latin and this... at that time..

:-)

Wondering the age and grammar ability to your dc. We used the Bridge b4 entering Latin Road. It is less latin, more latin suffix/prefix and grammar (which is necessary for someone not firmly grounded in grammar). If dc are solid in grammar, and thinking in the logic level, they can go to Latin Road, if not, Bridge is a great place to start. Be aware there is a heavy writing component, as you will use dictation and original sentence creation a great deal.

HTH :)

Oh, that sounds exactly what I have been looking for, because I am not into just seeing how early my kids can do Latin. I like the grammar foundation being laid first. I have been doing Prima Latina this year, and we have stopped because I don't see a point, for that very reason. My daughter will be in 4th grade when we would start, and she would definitely need the Bridge level. One question, could I cover the same territory with that that R&S would cover with the grammar and writing included? I currently use WWE, so would we have dictation overload? Basically what I am asking is, could I use the Bridge and WWE, and would that cover my language arts ground? I am trying to cut out the need for too many things. I think that all of us classical homeschoolers try too hard to cover too many language arts things sometimes. My daughter will also be doing narrations with SOTW also, BTW. Thanks for the input!! What would we all do without the hive?

I use Bridge and love it. I will use it with my 5th grader net year. I am using with my 6th grader this as a grammar review before starting Challenge A in CC next fall.

I think that WWE and Bridge are a complete LA program. Unless you wanted spelling too. Bridge has so much dictation and suffixes/prefixes that mistakes in spelling are caught and fixed quickly.

Oh, that sounds exactly what I have been looking for, because I am not into just seeing how early my kids can do Latin. I like the grammar foundation being laid first. I have been doing Prima Latina this year, and we have stopped because I don't see a point, for that very reason. My daughter will be in 4th grade when we would start, and she would definitely need the Bridge level. One question, could I cover the same territory with that that R&S would cover with the grammar and writing included? I currently use WWE, so would we have dictation overload? Basically what I am asking is, could I use the Bridge and WWE, and would that cover my language arts ground? I am trying to cut out the need for too many things. I think that all of us classical homeschoolers try too hard to cover too many language arts things sometimes. My daughter will also be doing narrations with SOTW also, BTW. Thanks for the input!! What would we all do without the hive?

Yes, you can cover the same if you're using RS 5 or 6. The Bridge is more intro. to latin, with focus on english grammar. The dictation is more single sentence than paragraph, which you may be getting from WWE (I'm assuming, I haven't ever used it). You will certainly need a writing component while using the bridge.

Whatever you use for writing, I would encourage at this young age to work towards basics in writing (solid outlines, summarization, reports, essays), so you can have a strong foundation for middle school, then really kick into style and variation in writing in the logic stage. You'll get that foundation with RS, just not a lot of writing practice with them.

IMO, the thing to take in consideration the most is mental processing. When you begin LR, you really want a logic stage dc who is able to process what she knows in english (process well), so whether you decide to use the bridge or not, keep that in mind.

Hope that helps :)