Menu

Finishing OPGTR?

Caraway

:lurk5:

I'm curious too b/c 1st grade material starts around 100s (imo, comparing it to other hs materials) but WTM suggests starting 1st grade when you are almost through w/OPG. Either way, if you did a lesson/day, you would finish in the 1st grade sometime. However, I keep being told that it goes up to 4th grade level reading. Does that mean that I am to do 1 lesson/week/month at some point:confused:

My dd1 has 1 more week left and she is doing 1st grade work... however, these last 20 lessons or so have been VERY difficult!!!

Generally, it would take 2 years to finish, although we are doing it in one because we are now able to do 2-3 lessons a day. Here is something I posted on another thread:

I read somewhere in my research on this forum that around lesson 60 you have taught all the requirements of K and start 1st grade level material. Then by 120 they start 2nd grade level, etc. The end of the book ends with 4th grade level words.

Link telling when to start what while doing OPGTR:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store..._store=default

It's the last question on the bottom.

Generally, spelling & penmanship should start after Lesson 115 in the OPG. First Language Lessons can start along with Lesson 140 in the OPG, etc.

HTH! :001_smile:

For us it has been more of an age goal rather than a grade goal. Our oldest started OPG as soon as she turned 5 and completed the whole book when she was 7 (2 1/2 - 3 years). Our next child started when she was 5 but will finish the book as a 6 year old, simply because she is more than able to do 2 lessons a day and is having fewer issues to review. Our son will start when he turns 5 next month and it takes as long as it takes. I love OPG because it's so easy to use at each child's pace and to supplement when needed. You do end at a solid 4th grade reading level so the pace that each child uses doesn't really matter all that much. HTH