Menu

Resource for outlining American history? (logic stage)

creekmom

Can you recommend a good American history book for beginning logic stage student to practice outlining?

We aren't in American history yet, but we began outlining this year. We started the year with a textbook, but then switched to Kingfisher because I realized the textbook was not chronological. Honestly, I think textbooks are set up very well for outlining. I would think an upper elementary textbook would work well.

We are going to use Hakim's History of US next year because we are doing SL Core 100. It is written in a more narrative approach so I'm not sure how outlining is going to go. I will probably use science for more outlining, and history for more writing.

We are going to use Hakim's History of US next year because we are doing SL Core 100. It is written in a more narrative approach so I'm not sure how outlining is going to go. I will probably use science for more outlining, and history for more writing.

I tried having my daughter outline Hakim when she was in 5th - it did NOT go well. :D

The Pearson history books that supplement Core Knowledge work great for outlining. But, I found mine used (very cheap.) While I really like the books, I do not think they are worth the new price.

I tried having my daughter outline Hakim when she was in 5th - it did NOT go well. :D

The Pearson history books that supplement Core Knowledge work great for outlining. But, I found mine used (very cheap.) While I really like the books, I do not think they are worth the new price.

I searched Amazon for the Pearson books, and even used, they were pretty pricey. But, I also found a text that looks great by McGraw-Hill called The American Journey. National Geographic helped with the maps/charts, etc. and it covers AH from the very beginning to present day all in one book! It was pricey on Amazon, but I found it on Ebay for $4.00! Score!!! They have a few left at that price if anyone else is interested.

Can you recommend a good American history book for beginning logic stage student to practice outlining?

Ds (7th grade) is reading Hakim's History of US series this year. A chapter can easily be used to write a list of facts, make an outline, or write a summary.

HTH!