Menu

Oak Meadow sale

Guest Cindie2dds

OM 4th grade and OM 2nd grade. We are going to switch gears this fall and do a very strange combination of Oak Meadow and Sonlight Core 2's History/Geography and Read-Alouds. :001_huh: Yeah, weird, eh?

We're not using OM math, though. I'm following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy with math. We'll continue with Singapore (with 8 yro) and Horizons (with 7 yro).

To make things even weirder (scary music playing), we'll continue and finish WWE (OK, I know it's only 5 minutes a day) and we are possibly going to work through BJU English 3 this summer because We have Punctuation Issues. :glare: Yeah.

I wanna make sure we cover all the state's benchmarks, at least 3 or 4 times. :auto:

OK, I had too much coffee.

Guest Cindie2dds
OM 4th grade and OM 2nd grade. We are going to switch gears this fall and do a very strange combination of Oak Meadow and Sonlight Core 2's History/Geography and Read-Alouds. :001_huh: Yeah, weird, eh?

We're not using OM math, though. I'm following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy with math. We'll continue with Singapore (with 8 yro) and Horizons (with 7 yro).

To make things even weirder (scary music playing), we'll continue and finish WWE (OK, I know it's only 5 minutes a day) and we are possibly going to work through BJU English 3 this summer because We have Punctuation Issues. :glare: Yeah.

I wanna make sure we cover all the state's benchmarks, at least 3 or 4 times. :auto:

OK, I had too much coffee.

You sound like me! :lol:

We are sticking with Oak Meadow after much meandering, but I will still throw in books from AO Year 1 and Queen's History books. We will probably continue with QLL also. I have the OM 1 syllabus, and I really like what I see. The math was very loosey goosey in K, but 1 is a whole other ball game. I think we'll continue Miquon and OM math as well, not sure. The other books we've collected are going to be read for fun or if we go out of town and we need to have something for school.

Off for more coffee. :D

Starting in 4th grade, you don't have to buy OM Math - you can purchase a separate program. Woohoo!

You know...OM 4th grade looks incredible!!! Even I was excited and I went through each lesson of the school year to see EXACTLY what was covered. We were really leaning towards K12, but one year of OM costs the same as one month of K12 and I'm not a millionaire... :glare: OM is starting to look a lot more hands-on, also.

No matter what I use, I'll probably always supplement, though. :auto:

Guest Cindie2dds

Me too! I will always supplement in the early years. I have really started to appreciate OM more since I looked through the OM 1 syllabus. The hard part for me was trying to decide since I have to have it in my grubby, little hands before I know if it's going to be wonderful or horrible. Unfortunately, my shelves have been full of horrible... :glare:

Edited by Cindie2dds

Guest Cindie2dds
Thanks for the heads up. I have been thinking of using oak meadow for science next year.

If you get it, I would love a review. There are so few people who review OM and I can't *see* it before I buy it. It's working very well right now, so I'm not going to second guess it and just enjoy the ride while it lasts. :)

Starting in 4th grade, you don't have to buy OM Math - you can purchase a separate program. Woohoo!

You know...OM 4th grade looks incredible!!! Even I was excited and I went through each lesson of the school year to see EXACTLY what was covered. We were really leaning towards K12, but one year of OM costs the same as one month of K12 and I'm not a millionaire... :glare: OM is starting to look a lot more hands-on, also.

OM 4 is wonderful. That was a great year for us. :)

I am a huge OM fan, but we supplement, too. I haven't met a curriculum yet that couldn't use some tweaking. ;)

:iagree: I'd like to hear more of what Audrey uses to supplement OM. There aren't many people who use OM and it's hard to compare notes. :lurk5:

Well, let me start by saying that I used OM for PreK and K, but then moved away from it for grades 1-3. That was the single biggest regret I have in 7 years of homeschooling. It was a huge mistake.

Fortunately, I came back to OM for grade 4, 5 and now 6 -- and will continue on for as long as I'm homeschooling.

In the lower grades we read a lot of extra books -- mostly read-alouds, so ds could enjoy great stories, even if they were way above his reading level. We spent a lot of time outdoors -- supplementing nature study with many books on animals, bird guides, animal guides, and a wonderful book that had animal tracks and how to identify them. My ds still keeps a "track" notebook for fun. Another thing we did was to include lots of music in our day. I had the book and tape for Mozart for Children. I don't know if that is still available, but it had great ideas for incorporating music into a child's daily routines.

For grades 4 and up, we supplement the grammar in OM with Growing with Grammar. Ds really likes grammar, and GwG gives good practice on a daily basis.

We supplemented spelling with an actual spelling program (SpellWell). It stopped with grade 5, though, so now we use a mix of the vocabulary in OM lessons, and lists from Natural Speller.

For Science, we have been known to take a break from the OM schedule to explore a lesson further. We'll sometimes repeat experiments, but more often grab one of several science experiment books off of the shelf and dig into it to expand the topic more. I've also used a few of the Tops series.

We do not use OM Math. Ds had a hard time with math, we switched around a bit and finally something in Saxon clicked for him. I, personally, don't care for it much, but it works for ds, so that's what is most important.

We added Latin to the mix in grade 4, starting with Minimus, then Minimus Secundus, and now are using Latin Prep, which we will continue for the 3-part series.

We study Art History using Calvert's Child's History of Art series. There are 3 sets in the series -- Painting, Sculpture and Architecture. Originally, I'd thought I'd coordinate the lessons with our history, but I couldn't make it work well that way, so we are just using one set per year.

We also study philosophy on a very kid-friendly level. OM introduces some different thinkers in its history program. Discussing those ideas always appealed to ds, so I found a great book called Philosophy for Kids. It has a different question and highlights a different philosopher each lesson. We will spend several weeks considering and applying each question. Ds also looks up information about the philosophers. It has greatly expanded his frame of reference across all subjects. He engages with events and people in history on a much deeper level than he might have otherwise.

My ds is not very musically inclined. Although he is in piano lessons, I won't likely force him to continue much longer. We all have different talents, eh? :001_smile: He does like to listen to music though, and we have done periodic lessons using the Classics for Kids website, and our own collection of CDs.

Lastly, although this isn't really a supplement, there are weeks where we will do an entire lesson in art. You know how in OM, they have several suggested topics or activities in each lesson? There is almost always one that is "arty." But, sometimes, we make every activity into an "arty" activity. We do this because during the time that I moved away from OM, my ds came to dislike art. Before then, he would draw ALL the time. But somewhere in that non-OM period, I think he lost that passion. (Yeah, I'm a very bad mommy:sad:) It took a long time for him to start loving learning again, but eventually he did. Then, I tried to help him find that love for drawing he once had. Slowly, over time, he found it again. I want to encourage it, so sometimes, it's an All Art Week. We have found creative ways to address the assignments in an artistic manner that still requires a thoughtful and informative response.

And that's how it's working so far. :001_smile:

Edited by Audrey

Guest Cindie2dds

Thanks, Audrey! Great info. I'm glad you made it clear about your regrets. I was thinking we needed to move away next year, and after looking at the syllabus thoroughly for OM 1 and your encouraging pms, I am really looking forward to next year!

:grouphug: Thanks, Audrey! The art and hands-on learning is what our school is lacking and I think my Wiggly Willy-s are going to love the change.

I am also going to supplement grammar and spelling, so good to know that others do also.

Read-alouds are a great supplement for any curriculum. :D

Thanks again! :001_smile: