Menu

geometry suggestions

pjssully

HI-- i am looking for geometry suggestions for my soon to be high schooler. She has worked on algebra for two years and hoping to finish soon. She struggled with this-i would never start a child as young as i did- anyways, i am fine teaching algebra but geometry is a different story!!! She doen'st like TT or Saxon andi have heard mixed reviews of the 3rd edition of jabob's. HOw is Bob Jones? any other suggestions would be great!

trhanks

pam

I have used 4 different geometry programs with 4 different boys. Some students are more geometry-wired than algebra-wired. You may find that she does not struggle with geometry like she did with algebra.

That said, I'm using MUS geometry with one son and I think it's sufficient. It's a program that he can be very successful in (which is important at this point with his motivation). Ds#2 used Jacob's geometry and did fine with it. Ds#3 is working successfully through Art of Problem Solving Geometry, but I don't think I could recommend that unless she is highly math motivated.

Ds#3 struggled with algebra also and felt he was horrible at math. He isn't, but that's how he felt. He could tell me how to solve problems, he could solve complex word problems in his head, but he couldn't seem to get it on paper when testing. So we left off 2/3 of the way through algebra and picked up geometry. I chose MUS because it moves slowly, has a visual/auditory component, and short lessons. This has worked very well to give him confidence. He is back to the algebra along with the geometry and doing fantastic.

I would also suggest that you ask on the high school board - you'll find a wealth of information there from those who have used all sorts of programs.