Menu

Math ?, Lials in particular -9th grader

Guest thsaj

Guest thsaj

Copied and pasted from K-8 board...

Hello,

I have learned so much just by reading previous posts regarding math topics! Thank you to all of you for taking time to answer! However after reading about so many different thoughts on math curricula, my head is spinning a little. Nontheless, I must go forge forth...

So my kids will be coming home from a Private Christian School that used BJU and Abeka math for K-6 and just Abeka for 7-8. My soon to be 9th grader will be ready for Algebra 1 this fall. I'm interested in a math program that will be college prep (he is interested in Pharmacology). But also ease of use for me is important! I like math but it has been years...:001_huh:. I also am wondering where to place (pre algebra or Algebra 1) my dd who will be a 8th grader. She is a good student but math is more of a weaker area than say writing/comp.

I have looked at Chalkdust math, BJU Math (distance learning), and Lials

One of the reasons Lials appeals to me (new edition) is because of the extra helps Prentice Hall offers with their textbooks ie DVD instruction, MathXL. But is that *over the top* as far as help goes? Plus at the website there are so many Lial math texts. How do I know which one is appropiate for my student for placement?

Any feedback is welcome! :)

Heather

I've used Lials for years. My own dd's used it and it is what I use with my online math classes.

What makes the Lial different is that it was developed for more 'independent' use... ALL of the teaching is in the student text. Other mainstream texts require a 'teacher' to present the full lesson and the student text includes a few smaller examples that serve as a 'reminder' to the student.

Margaret Lial has 2 different Math series published by Pearson/Prentice Hall.

I prefer the layout of the 'Developemental' series which comes in paperback. The lesson is presented in a series of detailed examples. Practice problems are in the side margin for the student to work out as they read through the lesson--to check understanding before moving on to the next example.

Because the primary use of this program is in community colleges, the text is set up in 'block' format. Each lesson is designed to be worked out over 2 days (just the odds). The lesson can easily be split in half and the corresponding homework problems worked each day.

This program is college prep, and I've successfully used it with all levels of students (below average to honors).

The minimum needed for Algebra 1 is the student text. The DVTs are optional--but at $30 are a nice back up if the student needs more help with a concept. The student solutions manual is also nice to have --but my students use it less than once per month. The student text will have all of the answers you need for the full course... all odd homework (what is normally assigned) plus all of the mid-chapter summary, chapter review and test--including cumulative review answers are there too.

Because it is a 'college' text a new edition is required almost every year. This means minimal format changes--mostly cover changes. I have several different editions and many pages are completely the same. For this reason I'm using the 8th edition (paperback) with my online classes next year. It is inexpensive and easy to find.

I have students who have used the Larson (Chalkdust) text as well as Foersters--and I've had students who change over to one of these texts... the transitions have always been seemless.

Please feel free to e-mail or pm me if you have any more questions.

Jann