Menu

Can my daughter get just as good an educ. at a regular college majoring in music ...

as in a conservatory? Her college piano professor told her she'll be very bored anywhere else but the price of the conservatory is enormallllll. Plus she'll need room and board and that's $5000 a year!!! which so far the scholarships don't seem to cover. Eu vey. She's so talented and has learned so much through the certificate of merit program but you can only do what you can do right??? Is there hope for her at a non-conservatory of music?

thanks, cb

I would think it would depend on what your dd wants to do with a piano major. There are many fine music departments in the UC and Cal State system, each with different strengths. It seems here at UCSD they are into modern and experimental music and composition (this is just my opinion based on concerts and the repetoire of the univ. symphony). I know an excellent pianist who is now getting an MA in orchestral conducting at SF State. Doesn't UCLA have an excellent music program?

I always wonder what all those conservatory grads are doing for a living as there is a very limited market for concert pianists. Even with all the professional symphonies in the country it is still hard for violinists to find a job, for instance.

I do know, from experience, there is always a demand for good pianists in churches and in musical theater, where we're always scrambling to find a rehearsal pianist. There is also a always a demand for people who have excellent skills in writing arrangements.

I didn't major in music after watching many excellent musicians, like my oldest brother, burn out from the stress of conservatory life. But I am nevertheless a busy semi-professional violinist, who is always thrilled when I find good and versatile pianists to work with!

as in a conservatory? Her college piano professor told her she'll be very bored anywhere else but the price of the conservatory is enormallllll. Plus she'll need room and board and that's $5000 a year!!! which so far the scholarships don't seem to cover. Eu vey. She's so talented and has learned so much through the certificate of merit program but you can only do what you can do right??? Is there hope for her at a non-conservatory of music?

thanks, cb

A lot depends on what your daughter wants to do with her music. Some university-based music programs are more conservatory-like than others and could be quite challenging musically. One of the most important considerations in choosing a school for a music major is the choice of teacher on the principal instrument. The fit between a student and the teacher is important because it will be a 4 year relationship. For piano, the level of ensembles is not as big an issue. Sometimes a less competitive ensemble makes it difficult for high level musicians, even when the teacher is a good fit. It will be important to think about what kind of work your daughter might want to do- whether primarily solo work or collaborative work, or whether teaching is more important to her than performing.

With regard to financial considerations, it's always best to look at the stated tuition + room & board as the starting place. You won't know until your dd auditions what your actual cost might be after scholarships & grants (I don't look at loans as being true "aid").

How old is your daughter now? She isn't doing auditions this year is she? If she's a junior or younger you've still got time to explore this issue. I found lots of good advice for the college choice process at the music major forum at http://www.collegeconfidential.com . Read through the posts and you will find a ton of information about choosing schools to apply to, auditioning, making a final choice, etc.

Daughter has following opportunities at local non-conserv. college:

She's interviewing/auditioning today to play as their chorale accompaniest and for their spring musical back-up accompaniest. Her piano teacher is a professor there and daughter has played for singers' recitals already at the college and got a job locally playing piano for musical theater.

I think it's a huge perk that she'd have these in-roads already at this college -- she's already compiled quite a resume; and after all these other things; I can't imagine the conservatory beating out the experience being offered at this smaller school. But her piano/music prof. is retiring at end of semester.

She auditions for the conservatory 3rd wk of Feb. The gal in the music department there told dd she had a difficult time coming up with $$ for this school and worked (in addition to already working for the conservatory because she got a scholarship there) as an accompaniest to singers. But my daughter won't know anyone there. Will the music department find her work??? I just don't know how it will work out. Should I stop worrying until after the audition??

What do you all think????

The first thing to think about is your (collective) goals for a college experience:

1. Does she want mainly music training or does she want a wider educational experience?

2. What are her current professional goals? This is tricky because goals do often change as a student gets more experience in the college and work world. A student with an absolute goal to land work with regionally- or nationally-recognized entities will need to be in a conservatory environment. Music is a highly networked profession and working with bigger names in the business as an undergraduate may help her to have bigger opportunities after graduation. OTOH, a smaller college experience supplemented by summer music festival opportunities may also achieve a similar goal. If she isn't personally set on aiming for the highest levels of recognition within the music field, she may want to go to a college where she can explore options outside of music for day work, while continuing to develop the network she already has for side work in music.

3. At this moment, I wouldn't let money enter into the equation. Usually, serious music students will apply to multiple professional music schools because admission is far from guaranteed in such a highly competitive field. You are pretty much past the deadlines for application, so I would concentrate on the two schools you've been looking at. First, have your daughter concentrate on preparing the audition and go in ready to do her very best. If she receives an acceptance, then look at any money that is offered, go to the financial aid office if necessary and see if they can come up with any other funds, and look at possibilities for employment. If there is still no way you can justify the cost to you, then you may need to consider it a closed door and not worry about what the piano teacher says.

4. Consider that once your daughter has been through both auditions and considered the atmosphere of the schools, she may have a better idea of what just "feels right," assuming admission at both schools allows her a choice.

5. As for work in piano accompaniment, many schools do maintain a list of musicians willing to perform that they can pass on to inquirers. Also, voice students and other instrumentalists need accompaniment for their jury exams and this can be a good way to bring in some money. My daughter hired a student to accompany her for her end-of-semester jury in December.

OK, I've got to go for now, but these are some thoughts. I'll PM you later with some specific questions.

I think you are getting really good advice from Marie. You and your dd might as well wait and see how the conservatory audition goes, then start thinking hard about what she wants to gain from her college experience.

The fact that she has already accompanied at college recitals at this non-conservatory school is a huge plus, and even though the professor is retiring, the department will still be a great networking source for her. All these contacts will be especially great if she wants to stay in her home town after college.

My experience is more in the everyday working world of musicians, so I don't know how much help I am in helping you think through college choices! You can PM me again if you want to keep thinking "out loud".