Menu

Need some ideas for math enrichment.

Catherine

My youngest, 8 yo ds, just had neuropsych testing, and the findings were that he has a high IQ, but very (very!) slow processing and poor working memory. Both of these measures were blow the 2nd percentile for his age group. He reads well, as far as decoding, but won't read anything challenging, (meaning, can't do HP), and I think it's because he can't remember the beginning of longer sentences when he gets to the end.

Math is our biggest challenge though. MANY concepts need frequent reteaching; it's hard to get anything into the long term memory. Once it's there, no problem. So he is slow, slow, slow then it comes to calculating, nothing is automatic. None of his facts, from multiplication to one digit addition, are quick and automatic, though for many, he can figure them out by skip counting or using other strategies.

What I'm looking for is math enrichment, which or neuropsych recommended. I do notice that with new concepts, he picks them up quickly. Can anyone recommend resources for math enrichment that do not rely on calculating? Word problems are poison!! No word problems please!

Do you have any examples of what *does* work for you? We use tons of math supplements and enrichment, but I'm having a tough time thinking of which might not rely either on calculation *or* word-based problems. Perhaps if you described something that does / has worked for you, other possibilities would spring to mind.

We use Right Start, and have just started the third grade book, level D. He hates the games, but we do them anyway.

When we started fractions, for example, no problem. He sailed through those lessons. We had to do a worksheet recently with finding patterns in numbers (continuing a pattern) and he did it quickly, no mistakes-a first. I will check out the Peggy Kaye books. Maybe I need to wait until facts are easier for him.