Menu

Help with information of flying pets internationally!

I have been researching for days :sad: I see that some airlines like Delta will allow our German Shepard and Husky ... and cat ... to fly as cargo or baggage - but not until *AFTER* September 15th.

How do I get my dog over to Germany in late June?

I have heard of something called "Pet Air" - but again - will that heat embargo apply?

I REALLLLLLLLLLY don't want to sit in the states until September or October.

There is nobody that we can leave these pets with stateside.

I have been researching for days :sad: I see that some airlines like Delta will allow our German Shepard and Husky ... and cat ... to fly as cargo or baggage - but not until *AFTER* September 15th.

How do I get my dog over to Germany in late June?

I have heard of something called "Pet Air" - but again - will that heat embargo apply?

I REALLLLLLLLLLY don't want to sit in the states until September or October.

There is nobody that we can leave these pets with stateside.

DH is a pilot and he says to call and ask about it. He says Delta has recently changed thier policy. He doesn't think Pet Air goes to Germany. Good Luck!!

I think you can use Pet Air from/into Germany. We live in Germany and we were considering using them to ship our German Shepherd to the US. Search for petair.de or use the .de suffix to find businesses in Germany.

Also, try these guys:

http://www.airanimal.com/index.php

Now, it doesn't look like our pup will need to fly. Our dog is very happy to hear that. (0;

Delta has a "refrigerated" hub in Atlanta, so that pets don't sit in the heat on the Tarmac. Their direct flights to Germany all fly through Atlanta. Now, I don't know if their *other* airports (eg: the airport you are starting from) have that type of refrigeration as well.

If you are on military orders to Germany, they HAVE to accept your pet. HAVE to. They will say "NO" over and over again, but just keep asking for a supervisor. American flagged airlines, by law, if transporting American soldiers and their families to duty stations overseas (there and back) have to fly the family pets - no matter what. And they have to take the necessary precautions to insure their safety.

a

I think some airlines have/had rules about flying w/pets in the heat that have some time/hours exceptions. I used to fly in and out of Tucson, AZ in the summer with my dog, but I had to take overnight flights -- leaving and arriving after dark (maybe 11 PM - 5 AM) from/to Tucson, so that the heat wouldn't be an issue. . . I also had to take direct flights, as the time on the tarmac is brutal in a layover. . .

If you are military, I think most military vets are well versed in international travel and might be able to help you find an airline and/or know their rules. I have heard that the airline rules have been changing lately, and you wouldn't want to book a trip now only to have the airline change up their rules on you the week of your trip. . .

If not, then your best bet is one of the pet-travel agencies. I think it might cost you $1000 (or more) per pet (w/ maybe a decent discount on the second pet if travelling the same itinerary). . . I know that many vets won't touch international travel issues anymore b/c there are so many legal aspects that it really requires a legal team more than a vet. . .

Every desination has so many rules, and finding out what they are is NOT always easy. . . Some of the health things have to be done at very exacting intervals before travel, so you'd run into trouble if your dates changed for any reason. . .

So, if it were me, I'd really look into budgeting in the $$$$ for a pet travel agency.