Menu

Best vacuum under $250?? We need one now!

I've been doing research & checking reviews, but we are in such need of a new one. Ours hardly picks up things and spits it back out the other side. It's really old & wasn't expensive to begin with, so it's not worth trying to repair.

I want something lightweight, and preferably bagless. Upright. Help?

our latest is a Hoover Wind Tunnel. I can't remember how much it was but I know we bought it on clearance. Everytime my husband vacuums he claims it "eats the Dyson's lunch" lol. For many years we bought those cheap ones at Walmart I think they were Eureka. They ran around $50 or $60 and lasted 2 or 3 years (partly because my husband just wanted a new one). We are a family of 6 with a dog and I like to vacuum everyday. We have a yellow Dyson too, I think it is great but it was expensive. Check your local Target ours always seems to have some kind of vacuum on clearance. Right now they have the Dyson Blueprint for 149.00. I told my husband he is not allowed to have it, lol. Good luck!

I needed a new vacuum about 5-6 years ago. At the time, everyone on the old boards was singing the praises of the Dysons, but I just couldn't see paying $500 for a vacuum.

I bought a Eureka 4870 which wasn't my first choice because it is bagged. But I love it. It still works wonderfully and reliably after weekly use in a large house with a furry dog. I buy the bags in a 9-pack from Amazon for less than $1 each. Its only other drawback is that it's a little heavier than some vacuums. But I paid under $150 for it and consider it to be a great purchase. I'd buy it again today if it broke.

Edited to emphasize its benefits:

Works great; picks up everything

Has lasted >5 years

Is quieter than most vacuums - really has a pleasant hum :)

Has a wide footpath so you go back & forth fewer times

Edited by OC Mom

We bought a used Oreck XL at a garage sale for $50 about 6 years ago. And it was probably at least 5 years old when we bought it. So, at around 11 years old, it has been the best vacuum I have ever owned. We have not had one problem with it, it still picks up everything and after using other peoples' vacuums, I can not believe how heavy some of them are. I would not vacuum if I had to lug those things around. My Oreck is almost effortless, especially right after changing the bag. When this one dies, we will absolutely get another one.