Menu

Need Advice thinking of using Sonlight Science Recommendations

susancollins

We're using Grade 1 this year. My dislikes:

- experiments don't correlate to what we're learning. We spent 17 weeks studying animals and almost that long doing experiments with magnets. The experiments build on each other, but it has no relation to the other coursework.

- although it hasn't been a problem for us, later levels are young-Earth and definitely not secular.

Things I like:

- it's fun.

- DD has learned a LOT.

- they use real books to learn from.

- everything is neatly laid out for me each day (yeah, I'm lazy, LOL!)

We have used the experiment kits with the dvd's and my kids have loved it! The Discover and Do videos (the newer ones with Justin) are a favorite. I bought an older one used and there was someone else on there and the kids were very disappointed!! We also have enjoyed some of the books. The Usborne ones were not a big hit, though. HTH!

I *love* the Discover and Do DVDs with the science kits (you need the nonconsumable kit and the grade-level kit to match each dvd). They're really fantastic for elementary years. Since they don't match up to the science readings, we never did Sonlight Science as a whole though. Just other readings.

Ds is using Science 4. Right now, he's doing an usborne microscope book and a tops book on magnetism. Yes- they don't match up, but he doesn't seem to mind. He doesn't like the tops books...they get a little long for him doing the same thing. We do love the discover and do DVDS.

Beth

We've used Sonlight's old and new Science K, loved them, and will do the old Science 1 (adding in some of the newer books/dvd) next year. It doesn't seem to occur to my kids that the experiments don't always line up with the reading. Book selections are great, experiments are fun, and the DVD is nice for when you don't want to take the time to do an experiment. We watch a lot of Magic School Bus here as well :)