Menu

Grammar suggestions for 1st and 4th.

MamaAkins

Talk to me about grammar programs for 1st and 4th graders. We'll be using AAS for spelling and A Reason for Handwriting for handwriting. 4th grader will probably be using Igniting Your Writing for writing skills. He (4th grader) has done 2 years of BJU english. 1st grader will have finished both the K and 1st grade levels of Sing Spell Read and Write as well as books a, b, c, 1 and 1 1/2 of ETC.

Since I've already chosen AAS, I do not need an all-inclusive program like Phonics Road. I'm mainly looking for grammar....I'm okay if it includes writing skills as well.

We like Rod and Staff for Grammar - grade 2 or 3 and up. So your fourth grader could start with R&S 4. Two options I have used in 1st grade are First Language Lessons and Growing with Grammar 1. I liked both - one is more parent-intensive and the other a more independent workbook. We also do a lot of copywork in 1st grade.

Shurley English is also an option - they have levels from grade 1 through 7 (?). I've not used it, but I have heard good things about it.