Menu

CLE Spelling

susankenny

Dd has a very good memory...so the spelling hasn't been a problem for us. I know a lot of people supplement it or skip it and use something else.

Here's a sample list (CLE 304, Lesson 11):

born

horn

score

morning

paddle

table

middle

safely

hopeful

pasted

ripest

skating

leaving

April

Apr.

Each week has 15 words. The last few lessons have been about adding suffixes with rules about how to do that. After being given the rules, the child is then asked to add suffixes to the roots (example: leave (ing)), pick out words with certain sounds ("Write the spelling words that have the a (not sure how to put a line over the a to show long vowel) sound"), marking accented syllables with the use of a dictionary, separating into syllables, writing antonyms and synonyms, etc.

Dd reads very well, but I put her in the 2nd reading level because I didn't want her to miss the stories. The lessons are very quick in CLE Reading 2...but she loves the stories and the phonics provides spelling instruction as well. We are also using CW Primers and the spelling sections there (very light) have coincided with the suffix rules, so she's getting extra practice there as well.

All this to say, I hope this gives you some idea of what is included. :) It works for us, but I know that it doesn't meet everyone's needs.

Edited by Dawn E

Hello,

I have another CLE question. I am considering CLE Language Arts for grade 3, and I am curious about the spelling portion. If you use CLE Language Arts, do you think the spelling program is okay?

Thanks again everyone!!:)

Susan

We have not used Level 3, but are using level 5. My son is *not* a strong speller, so we supplement. If he was a strong speller, I could see how CLE would be enough. I think it just depends on how strong a speller your child is :)

Hi,

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have additional suggestions to do with spelling words if she does end up struggling? If possible, I'd rather add activities to reinforce the CLE words, as opposed to adding in another program. I'm wanting to try CLE for the simplicity of having everything together, ykwim? Anyway, we haven't even started CLE LA, and won't until August. But I would love ideas to help my daughter with spelling words that she misses (that would help even now!:))

Thank you!

Susan

We add activities with the second grade list.

We play spelling baseball 2-3 times per week. Set the timer for 5 or 10 minutes. Have the child spell the word out loud as they are writing the word. If they get the word right, it is a point. If they get it wrong, spell it for them as they write the correct spelling. They should write it correctly two more times. They get a point for doing this. See how many points a child can get in a given time period. Play again later in the week and see if they can improve his/her score.

Another day of the week, I have them sort words from the list phonetically. For example, they may find different ways to spell er (long e). Find the words from the list where "ear" sounds like er. Write those words three times. After the first writing, cover up previous word and try to spell on your own. Then check yourself. Another list would be er (long e) spelled "ere".

I might have them alphabetize spelling words or unscramble words another day.

There's always spellingcity.com. Enter your own spelling words. I think it works better later in the week. It does an o.k. job with review, but not teaching IMHO.

Sometimes I use these instead of the bookwork for spelling, but I stick with their spelling lists.

Hi,

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have additional suggestions to do with spelling words if she does end up struggling? If possible, I'd rather add activities to reinforce the CLE words, as opposed to adding in another program. I'm wanting to try CLE for the simplicity of having everything together, ykwim? Anyway, we haven't even started CLE LA, and won't until August. But I would love ideas to help my daughter with spelling words that she misses (that would help even now!:))

Thank you!

Susan

We have used several spelling programs in the past and what I am doing now is just using Dr. Frye's spelling book along with learning the CLE words. It's basically a list of the most common 3000 words for grades 1-6 in grade form. For instance, it has words you should know in 1st grade, 2nd grade, etc. In the back it has spelling rules and all kinds of helpful stuff. It's probably 25 years old and out of print (I found it on betterworldbooks for a couple of dollars) but there are newer Dr. Frye books. I'm sure you can find word lists online divided by grades, etc. Sometimes we input words into spelling city. My son gets frustrated with spelling city, so we don't use it much anymore. Anyhow, I have him write the words at least 3 times one day and write sentences with them the next day and then we test on them weekly.